Help with chicken diet

That’s what we’ve been trying to do, but with work, family, and some home renovations, it’s been challenging for the past 4-6 months to have the time to supervise them. Clearly, I just need to carve out the time and just do that every day. Thanks!
I failed to mention , once you begin that procedure they may be waiting at the gate nearly every day .:)

OK, it sounds like you're already doing pretty much what I was thinking of.

Yes, green things should be good in this case-- not many calories, but the chickens like them enough to go get them!
The sod was a hit. We got it last weekend but we were worried about fertilizers and such so we put it out in the yard and watered this past week to air it out and wash it off. It’s pretty dry (because that’s what you get trying to grow winter sod in desert heat), but it was a hit. I think we will also try to grow some more desert adapted sod from seed moving forward. It’s almost 95 today, so I put ice in their open water bowls. I had forgotten another good (summer) way to get them exercise - they LOVE to play with and chase each other for ice chips. Plus it’s a great way to help them stay cooler and hydrated. I will definitely make that a more regular thing.

So chicken peeps, I need some help. We have 4 adult chickens (and 3 maturing chicks). One of our adults, a lovely Barred Rock, is unfortunately a pig. She eats constantly. She’s getting overweight (and we’ve already lost one to fatty liver disease) so we have to limit her food for her own sake. Before now, we did free choice feeding. Here’s the issue, the other 3 girls are a healthy weight (we weigh everyone once a week), but because one is on a diet, they all are. We give them 90g of food per chicken a day - half around daybreak and the other half around noon. The two most senior hens do NOT like the restricted food and they’re starting to pick on the younger two (which includes the Barred Rock) a lot(and now there are three more on the way to the coop). We try to be very even in what we do with them, i.e:, if we give treats, they all get equal amounts to the best of our ability. But I’m at a loss at how to keep our Rock food restricted, not restrict the other girls so much, but not make our Rock feel excluded because the others are getting food and she isn’t. Any suggestions?
I would try something like the Peck-o-matic -- it would keep them busy and they would have to work for their food.

Hmm, for one thing, weighing chickens once a week or anytime, is new to me. I never weigh mine, don't see a need for it, unless I was showing them, which I don't. I have 20 chickens and I used to have a homemade feeder that I could put 2 1/2 gallons of feed in but them rascals would practically empty it by the end of day and it was costing me. So now, I just toss out about 6 lbs of Laying Pellets, mixed with a little bit of cracked corn, into the 15'x30' run area and that's all they get for the day. Been doing this for a while now and I have healthy chickens that are laying good, every day. Soo, I really don't see the problem but I do agree with 'Raingarden' about Target feeding being difficult. Anyhow, that's my 2 cents on the matter. I hope all works out well for you! 😊

Cut out the scratch. It's like candy. It's not meant to be a diet staple. I give a little in winter to give them something to "scratch" around for and to give them more calories. They don't need it otherwise.

So chicken peeps, I need some help. We have 4 adult chickens (and 3 maturing chicks). One of our adults, a lovely Barred Rock, is unfortunately a pig. She eats constantly. She’s getting overweight (and we’ve already lost one to fatty liver disease) so we have to limit her food for her own sake. Before now, we did free choice feeding. Here’s the issue, the other 3 girls are a healthy weight (we weigh everyone once a week), but because one is on a diet, they all are. We give them 90g of food per chicken a day - half around daybreak and the other half around noon. The two most senior hens do NOT like the restricted food and they’re starting to pick on the younger two (which includes the Barred Rock) a lot(and now there are three more on the way to the coop). We try to be very even in what we do with them, i.e:, if we give treats, they all get equal amounts to the best of our ability. But I’m at a loss at how to keep our Rock food restricted, not restrict the other girls so much, but not make our Rock feel excluded because the others are getting food and she isn’t. Any suggestions?

I let my fat ones be fat and happy.No restrictions.They sometimes are not as fast as the trimmer ones,just gain weight,like people.
I find about 10% may be plump,from early on.They all seem to live same lifespan,and don’t get sick any more then others.
Of course always watch for Ascites,,I’ve had this,and luckily one drain at vets,clear,,they were fine,did not return.But,at first, I just thought they were gaining weight.

Cut out the scratch. It's like candy. It's not meant to be a diet staple. I give a little in winter to give them something to "scratch" around for and to give them more calories. They don't need it otherwise.
I don’t feed them scratch. I feed them a balanced organic whole grain feed. The brand is Scratch and Peck.

Back
Top Bottom