Help with chicken PTSD?

GuineaPig24

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2023
I have a French Black Copper Marans, Blanche, who is unfortunately suffering from some sort of mental trauma. A hawk tried to take her away a few months ago and she has since stopped laying eggs and is anxious to free range, constantly on the lookout for flying birds. (No injuries: the hawk dropped her immediately after seeing her black feathers)

Her comb and wattles might be super beautiful but her hips are super closed and her vent is small. She is 9 months old, Hatched 3/12/23, and laid her first egg at 5 months old.

I brought her inside for the first time today just for some relaxation. I fed her coconut oil and gave her a necklace with dried lavender tied to it. Are there any other suggestions to help her work through her intense anxiety? Her behavior makes me so sad :(
IMG_0902.jpeg

I "adopted" 3 silkies from a lady who had a dozen until a fox came and cleaned out 9 of them. Their traumatization couldn't be seen as at first I assumed it was just anxiety about being in a new place with other chickens. After a month, I noticed one hen seemed fine, but the rooster and the other hen still acted like I was Jack the Ripper and ran from me when I came around. I tried feeding them by hand like I can all the rest, and after dozens of tries, they still wouldn't. I did a lot of research then to find out what was wrong with them and only learned that after a traumatic incident, they each will take their own individual amount of time to recover and trust again. Fast forward to a year later, and I can finally say they all accept me, not as the enemy, and all but the rooster will eat from my hand. He's still stand-offish but that might just be his demeanor as at least he doesn't run from me anymore.

Basically, I think it's mostly just time, and saving them from any other trauma. What you're doing is well over what I did, so maybe you're speeding that up. :love

I "adopted" 3 silkies from a lady who had a dozen until a fox came and cleaned out 9 of them. Their traumatization couldn't be seen as at first I assumed it was just anxiety about being in a new place with other chickens. After a month, I noticed one hen seemed fine, but the rooster and the other hen still acted like I was Jack the Ripper and ran from me when I came around. I tried feeding them by hand like I can all the rest, and after dozens of tries, they still wouldn't. I did a lot of research then to find out what was wrong with them and only learned that after a traumatic incident, they each will take their own individual amount of time to recover and trust again. Fast forward to a year later, and I can finally say they all accept me, not as the enemy, and all but the rooster will eat from my hand. He's still stand-offish but that might just be his demeanor as at least he doesn't run from me anymore.

Basically, I think it's mostly just time, and saving them from any other trauma. What you're doing is well over what I did, so maybe you're speeding that up. :love
Oh that’s so noble of you to take them in! Silkies are such loving little babies 💕💕 I’m sure the patience you’ve given them during healing has made them feel so special and happy!

Back
Top Bottom