Help with chicken waterer.......

Jmeyer1313

Hatching
May 25, 2017
Hello gang, as you can tell I'm a brand new member to BYC. here is my problem. I built a auto waterer last fall from a55 gallon drum... All went well all winter but as the temps rise I have now got algae in the drum...... What is my solution?

Welcome to BYC!

Are you not able to scrub it out?
Good ole soap and water?

As of now... No...I tried to keep it as air tight as possible to keep any dirt out...I did have to cut a small hole to get my heater in there when the temps got really low...

Oh....so it is closed up so you can't actually just open one end to clean it?

I have "heard" some people use ACV in their water to help prevent growth but can't say for sure if it works or not.

Do you keep it in a shady area? that may help some?

I have heard acv .... I'm assuming that's vinegar?. It gets very little sun... And I may have messed up by using a white drum..... That allows more light to get in... Rookie mistake

Apple cider vinegar.
How many chickens do you have?
That's sounds like a huge waterer.

Lol.. It is a huge water bucket.... We only have 11 birds... But I built everything to be able to slowly build our flock. I def don't fill the barrel all the way

What if you use a brand new toilet brush and poke it through the small hole you cut in it? You could tape it a broom handle if its not long enough. Just a thought. Or maybe you could use vinegar . It might kill the algea. I know sometimes people put algea eaters (like that goes in your fish aquarium) in their stock tanks to help with algea, but I dont think that would work for you.

Hello gang, as you can tell I'm a brand new member to BYC. here is my problem. I built a auto waterer last fall from a55 gallon drum... All went well all winter but as the temps rise I have now got algae in the drum...... What is my solution?
I have built the same kind of waterer. If you add a 32 ounce bottle of organic apple cider vinegar to the 55 gallons of water, it will not only prevent algae, but is has several benefits to your chickens. ACV is also recommended for other livestock as well, goats, rabbits, dogs, humans, etc.

Back
Top Bottom