Help with choosing breed please.

Chelps03

Chirping
Aug 19, 2018
Southern Indiana
Hello all, I am new to raising chickens. Some of my neighbors in my area have taken up the hobby and it looks like something I would enjoy. I'm not very educated in breeds and was wanting some help in picking for my situation. I have 3 young boys that I believe will get a lot of enjoyment in helping me, so I would like the breed to be somewhat friendly and fun. My main reason however is for the eggs and being able to share with others. So I would like heavy egg layers year round if possible. I also feel I should share that I live in Indiana and we have hot summers and cold winters. I do plan on my chickens mostly being in a run, however whenever I am in the backyard with the kids or working I would be more then happy to let them free range. Thanks for the help in advance!

Not sure if it matters but I plan on having 4-6 chickens.

Mypetchicken.com has a breed selector tool. It CAN be rather vague though.
:hmm

For your area there are many breeds that fare well.
If it were me I would look for small combs and medium to large breeds.
I like friendly calm birds so am drawn to Black Australorp and Buff Orpingtons.
Many people are fond of Easter Eggers. They lay a variety of colors from white, green, blue and brown. Green is the most common from my experience. I did find mine did not do well for me. There are inherited issues that show up more in them.

please know that sex link birds, leghorns, red and black stars, cinnamon queens (and more) are bred for heavy production and tend to live short lives because of it.

My advice would be to decide the main purpose of the flock. Will it be solely for eggs? Will it be for eggs and meat? Will they become pets potentially?

Cacklehatchery.com has a wonderfully informative website with lots of information on breeds and care.

I hope this helps some.

Welcome! A better question is whether you want to start with baby chicks or feathered pullets. Then research what breeds are readily available in your area, because they're likely to be best suited for the weather. Look first for NPIP certified breeders rather than Craigs List. NPIP certification means the birds are regularly tested for major illness. This site has tons of information about specific breeds, even pictures how to build a coop!

The main purpose is for eggs, but I would like for them to be friendly as well for the kids.

I was planning on starting with chicks.
Rocks of any color (white, barred, buff) might be good for you. I find leghorns, production reds and sexlinks to be highstrung. Rocks will produce well, but have friendlier personalities.

:welcome!!!

When me and my brothers and sisters were little, our first chicks were Rhode Island Reds. There are 6 of us, we each had our own and they were very sweet and friendly. RIR’s are also VERY good egg layers.
5 of the 6 passed before turning a year old because we didn’t know we should be feeding them grit and oyster shell daily. You might already know that, but I wouldn’t want y’all to make the same mistake!!

Hope this helped :hugs

Australorps are great, but a bit aloof. They're very calm, and they're better layers than Orpingtons are, but they're not as friendly.

Brahmas come with some good reviews as to friendliness, but I've never owned any. My Wyandottes are quite calm and heavy. Both breeds are good layers, and the short comb means less chance of frostbite.

My Easter Eggers are good layers, but all are quite flighty. YMMV. It doesn't help that they differ a lot by hatchery.

Delawares are friendlier chickens, and they have a neat appearance that I like.

Bold chickens tend to be more friendly, but they're also the ones most likely to go past the 'bold' point, straight into 'aggressive.' Especially if they're low on space. Barred Rocks and Rhode Island reds fall under this category. Both breeds are very good layers. I love my RIRs, but other people have had bad experiences. My mother likes Barred Rocks, so personal tastes come into play here. Please do not subject your children to roosters of breed; they are often very aggressive.

Leghorns are great layers, but they run screaming from the nest box every time I look for eggs, so I feel guilty. They're not friendly birds. Sexlinks and Production Reds, as already said by 21hens, tend to have short lives due to too much egg production. i have worse luck with sexlinks than with PRs.

I suggest getting all different breeds, so that it's easy to tell the girls (and their eggs) apart. And also because a flock of differently coloured chickens looks cooler.

Some duck breeds out lay even Leghorns so, if you can handle their needs (they can be messy) that might be an option if you are looking for year round eggs. They don't need a pond to swim in - just enough water that's deep enough for them to completely wash their beaks. Ducks fed the same diet as chickens will have eggs that taste just as good. Ducks are pretty heat tolerant and very cold tolerant. I can't wait to have some ducks. :)

https://www.hobbyfarms.com/6-duck-breeds-to-raise-for-eggs-4/

Back
Top Bottom