Help with choosing breed please.

I am going to tell you my experiences with my chickens. Others will likely not agree or have different experiences.

Redhead Rea for example has not had good experiences with leghorns. I however have had exceptional leghorns and believe they are misunderstood. The friendliest and smartest hens I have had have been leghorns. I have taught them tricks and they always came when I called their names. They would jump in my lap just to say hello or check things out. They are prodigious layers. My Daisy laid 360 eggs one year.

Here are the downsides to leghorns. All of my leghorns have died young (3-4 years) from mainly reproductive issues. All of that egg laying takes a toll on them. They fly well if they desire to do so. They do not sit a nest or hatch their own young. They generally have large combs that can require extra attention on very cold nights to prevent frostbite.

I would suggest that orpingtons might be your best bet. They are known not only to be friendly but some are downright sweethearts. They are cold hardy and lay pretty well. They come in many color varieties so you could make a very interesting flock with them.

Easter Eggers could also make sense and I think the colored eggs would be a lot of fun.

Most of all always remember, chickens are individuals with distinct personalities. There are generalities in personalities by breed but each chicken is different just as each human is. You may choose a breed because it is known to be friendly and wind up with a nasty mean chicken, or vice versa.

I hope this helps.

If you can afford it, get a heat plate (~$40+ depending on size) or look into "momma heat pad". They are more natural for baby chicks and less prone to start fires compared to lamps.

I agree. Get a heat plate. It's worth the money. We did our chicks with one this year and I will never go back. They use the heat plate just like mom. They go under it when they are cold and because there is not added light, they go to sleep when it gets dark just like normal chicks. If you check out the chick pictures on my link below you can see the heat plate in the background.

Chelps I suggest going on you state thread in BYC, or depending on where you are in IN, check surrounding states forums to find a breeder. I feel you get better quality than the feed store. Remember if you want to extend your laying season, a light in the hen house helps.
My best layer is a production breed, and she is nuts.

Back
Top Bottom