Help with choosing ducks

Yamato_Damashii

Hatching
Sep 2, 2019
2
0
9
I've raised chickens in the past and am thinking about moving on to ducks.

I share a fairly large pond with several neighbors about yee big:

Dillington_Pond_Overhead.jpg


but it's more of a dog leg shape, surrounded by woods 60% of the perimeter; the other 40% being lawn. It does freeze over in the winter (Ohio)

The pond is frequented by Canadian geese, mallards, and sometimes herons.

My preferences:
1. The ducks be able to fly reliably enough to escape predators if necessary
2. The ducks prefer to be on water quite a bit; as my backyard is not that entertaining in terms of shrubbery.
3. The ducks still be willing to be pet and loved! (I don't imagine ornamental are as willing?)

Given these preferences:
[plan to hatch or buy them in the spring]

1.) Yay or nay with the pond situation?
2.) Ornamental or domestic
3.) Breed suggestions?


Thanks and feel free to ask follow up questions.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom