Help with choosing my breeds

cassada2604

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
Indianapolis
I am interested in purchasing 3 egg laying hens. I have 2 children, ages 3 & 2. So, they must be easy going and good with children. I also have neighbors nearby, so I would prefer them to be quiet. I am thinking about purchasing a Buff Orpington, Australorp, and a Barred Plymouth Rock. What are your thoughts????

Those are good calm breeds. But just know that while hens do not crow, they do make a lot of noise when laying their egg. It does not really matter the breed on that one.

1st welcome

2nd get new neighbors

3rd you will need more chickens

4th fun age of kids...want some a little older?

5th good breeds you need more

6th once you get them you will understand the get more thing

7th i ain't got nothing else

I'm new to chickens this year and have 2 silver-laced Wyandottes, 3 barred Plymouth rocks, 2 New Hampshire reds and 4 buff orpingtons. My buff orpingtons are my fav's and are the most quiet and gentle. Had I to do it over again, I would have only gotten the buffs. I couldn't find any australorps...I've heard really good things about them! Good Luck!

How many should I get? We are transforming a medium to large cedar dog house into a chicken coop and building a run off that. It should look pretty nice. I've never owned chickens and I am trying to do as much research as I can. There is SO MUCH INFO!!!

I know I may be a little strange for saying this, but with kids that age, avoid the barred rocks... everybody has always told me how gentle and friendly that breed is, but in my personal experience, they have been the most aggressive towards people...I have dealt with several barred rocks, and even owned(note the usage of past tense) some of them, and each one( hens and roosters alike) would just as soon attack you as look at you... the Orps have a well deserved reputation for friendliness ... I have only ever dealt with one Aussie(one of the Roos we have right now) and he is a little stand offish, but not aggressive in any way...

Quote:
How many are you allowed to have? LOL I started with four.......now I have about 50-60. But some of those I am growing out to decide if i wnt to keep them to show or breed, and my ducks are included in that number.

Back
Top Bottom