Help with Cochin Sexing

LVhens

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 29, 2014
Hi, I have week old cochins and I was wondering if there is a way to make an educated guess on what gender they are? I bought them from a hatchery so I have a lot of extras that I'd like to find homes for but I don't want roosters so any tips on increasing my chances on keeping pullets would be really helpful :)

Chick #1

Chick #2

Chick #3 and 4

Your chicks are still too young to sex. And, for what its worth, Cochins are a slow feathering/maturing breed in general. Whether they're cockerels or pullets and especially if they're standard size. With these, they're combs will give them away first, but for now you must wait :)

My cochins are now 3 1/2 weeks old and I can tell that one of them is a roo by his comb development - it is pinkening up from the base, is larger and shaped a little differently from (presumed) the girls.

Your chicks are still too young to sex. And, for what its worth, Cochins are a slow feathering/maturing breed in general. Whether they're cockerels or pullets and especially if they're standard size. With these, they're combs will give them away first, but for now you must wait
smile.png
Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom