Help with colors for coop - majority vote rules!! (pics)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mcf3kids, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Here is our coop which is under construction:

[​IMG]

here are my house colors:

[​IMG]

This picture shows how close the coop is to the house which is in a residential area but in a fenced yard. It is an elevated coop style so some of it shows above privacy fence:

[​IMG]

My question is do I paint it the house color and use the shutter color for the egg box, people door and the chicken ramp?

or do I paint the coop the shutter color with a white trim and use the house color only on the chicken ramp to give it a barn feel? The shutter color is a raspberry but not a true barn red.

Thanks guys I am really at a loss for which way to go!! [​IMG]

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    match the color of your house. as exact as you can be.

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    since it's in a residental area i would paint it to match your house. when my coop finally gets built i'm going to use the damaged siding we have to replace due to the storm on the coop and i want to paint the window trim to color of the house shutters

4. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Cranberry with beige/brown trim.

5. Weiden Farm

Weiden Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I would go the same as the house.
    I'm in the middle of the woods and we are building our coop to look like our home and we intend to add log siding and a stone to the front

6. CrazyCatLady76

CrazyCatLady76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Hazard
    Quote:Ooh, I like that idea. Where it's mostly red, it would still have a barn feel, but would match the house better.

7. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    Match the house [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  8. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    I love the barn style idea.... but your neighbors may prefer if it matches the house. Of course you could always tell them that since it is the same color as the trim it may not match, but it "coordinates"

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:x2

Matching the house is too boring!!! It's gotta stand out!

10. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Seems majority is keep it the color of the house - which is what DH would like me to do BUT he did ultimately say do whatever you want. Leaning towards being conservative with the exterior color - the inside will be my favorite shade of blue and I found some yellow as accent trim on the inside! Should be nice and cheery and all my pain t is leftover except the exterior if I buy the house color. I have a construction thread going if you want to see what ultimately happens - thank you so much for helping me decide!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by