Help With Coop Design Please URGENT

MamaChic21

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Jackson, NJ
I have to relocated the chicken/duck run. Because it's in a bad place. It accumulates mud in and all around the chicken run.I'm only limited to certain area due to the wind and sun position. The ideal place for them, unfortunately has 2 huge trees and a hill, so It's very difficult and challenging to cover the top. They need a small roofed area and the rest covered with chicken wire. Since the run is kind of tilted due to the small hill, I've put sand, pine chips,hay, and covered one area where the rain comes from and even put stepping stones inside because when I go inside the run, I step on the mud knowing my foot won't come back easily.

My husband says wait until spring but he also said that this winter will be worst then last year (last year, we didn't have chickens). I don't know what to do anymore :-(

I've put sand, pine chips,hay,

Those things just hold water.
The sand will let it drain

If you need a roofed area, just set some poles and build a frame.
Being on a slope wont matter.
Just use longer poles at the lower end to make the TOP level​

Last edited:
Can you put straw down on the mud? at least until it snows? I guess I wouldn't want to be working on a coop/run in the cold so my vote would be to make the best of where your at now and wait till spring.

we've build a frame and one side it slightly higher then the other side and we put up a plastic roof and at the end we put up a gotter so the water can go somewhere else. We've also put the same type of plastic around the fence to eliminate water when it rains, but still, nothing worked so far. We simply have to move the coop and run, but wherre ?

Honestly, chickens really don't care if the ground is a hill. Mine are on a slope. The only issue I had was their scratching was kicking the dirt out of the low side. I just stacked a few landscape timbers to make a little wall to keep the dirt in. For what it's worth, the solutions may be making your problem worse. All the water gets concentrated by the roof and walls and the saturates the run instead of soaking in. Put the run in whatever location works for you. You might want to move the run periodically to prevent the vegetation from getting decimated.

you know you have a point there, maybe my solutions are creating my problems. I have a total of 21 (18 chickens and 3 ducks) How can I do portable chicken coop for that size, or maybe a secondary run which they already have now.

Back
Top Bottom