Help With Coop Design Please

MamaChic21

Songster
9 Years
Dec 2, 2010
Jackson, NJ
I have to relocated the chicken/duck run. Because it's in a bad place. It accumulates mud in and all around the chicken run.I'm only limited to certain area due to the wind and sun position. The ideal place for them, unfortunately has 2 huge trees and a hill, so It's very difficult and challenging to cover the top. They need a small roofed area and the rest covered with chicken wire. Since the run is kind of tilted due to the small hill, I've put sand, pine chips,hay, and covered one area where the rain comes from and even put stepping stones inside because when I go inside the run, I step on the mud knowing my foot won't come back easily.

My husband says wait until spring but he also said that this winter will be worst then last year (last year, we didn't have chickens). I don't know what to do anymore :-(

Last edited:
Might want to ask (hit report) the Modly Ones to move your topic over to the Coop Section...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=9

Trying to picture it and having a hard time but it sounds like you've tried your best to make the run less squishy... but you need to also think about diverting the water before it gets to the run... a trench around the top side can help... divert the water elsewhere... or you can use blocks... bricks, cinderblock, etc for the same effect... digging is cheaper of course... only thing that's immediately coming to my mind.

Pretty much our whole yard is shade... not usually too bad unless there's a downpour or constant rain for a bit... giving the above thoughts thought for how to help ours but with bushes, fences, and a big silver gas tank (think at one point there was a hot tub and that powered it, no longer there but the tank still is and it's the landlord's so we can't do squat about it)... figuring out how has been an issue.

Hope someone else posts with better ideas.

I appriciate it. We have considered doing that but I would like to change the design of their run too, it just doesn't feel right.

Back
Top Bottom