Help With Coop Please - NOW WITH BETTER PICTURES :)

TY Bruce that is great find.

After considerable looking I finally found a coop project that I think can help give ideas https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/steadfasts-chicken-coop. Not sure I want to do a run that large, but maybe on a smaller scale.

project budget $1000 ?

that's way out of my price range

you can cut down costs by checking craiglist's free stuff section for free lumbers (if available) or check the 70% off section at home depot

the lumbers are 70% off when they are warped.. because they left them there exposed to water

but for some purposes you can make do with warped lumbers

i built my coop/run with warped lumbers..

Last edited:
Yea, lol Im not spending that either, ie 75.00 coop :)

But it does give me some ideas on how to improve what I got.

project budget $1000 ?

you can cut down costs by checking craiglist's free stuff section for free lumbers (if available) or check the 70% off section at home depot

the lumbers are 70% off when they are warped.. because they left them there exposed to water

LOL you don't have to opt for the coops central AC/heating system, that will knock a bit off of the cost.

project budget $1000 ?

Ditto. Though I didn't realize Home Depot has a 70-percent-off section. I'm a dumpster diver. Go to construction sites. Anything in the dumpster (around here at least) is free. I've built a lot of junk with the wood and metal roofing I've found through the years. Usually, the only cost I have comes from screws and concrete.

Ditto. Though I didn't realize Home Depot has a 70-percent-off section. I'm a dumpster diver. Go to construction sites. Anything in the dumpster (around here at least) is free. I've built a lot of junk with the wood and metal roofing I've found through the years. Usually, the only cost I have comes from screws and concrete.

It's just a pallet in the back usually by the saw they make free cuts on. Ours is marked "cull lumber" and is spray painted with purple... Some are warped worse than others but I managed to find 5 pieces that worked for what I needed

Hi, one thought that strikes me is, if you do not plan on attaching a run to offer a bit more stability and/or plan on enclosing the coop to make it more winter worthy, you may think about lowering it. Not sure how windy it gets in your part of VA, however, I'm just across the Potomac in MD (with South and Braddock Mountains at our back) and we can get some pretty fierce winds that I would be afraid might topple a tall, somewhat narrow structure.

Good luck with making it your own. I've found building or improving on structures such as the one you found quite addictive.
smile.png

for my areas.. the 70% off lumbers would be on a cart in the middle of the largest aisle in the lumber area of the store.

it's in the middle of the aisle with those wood frames , 2x4, 2x3, 2x6, etc.. they are warped woods.. which is why they are 70% off.

you should see a sign on the cart stating that anything on this cart is 70% off. They will mark them with purple spray paint.

of course you can also check local businesses or craiglist free stuff section for free lumber as well.. some will give out pallets.

I saw a listing for free swing set here a few days ago. I think you can make a chicken cook and run out of it as well :)

honestly, the chickens will just need a safe and secure place to live .. so personally.. i wouldn't spend 1 month worth of mortgage payment on a chicken coop/run
roll.png

i'm done with my chicken coop/run now.. so have to work on the raised garden beds next.. for now my 5 hens are ok in the 4'x8' run..+ free ranging around the yard.. so.. just focus on bedding and feeds for now.

before i thought raising chickens would be a good way to save money.. but the up front cost is pretty high.. even just for 5 hens in my case..

so how long will it take for me to break even with the $200 up front cost for supplies+ chickens ?
hmm.png

how much can you get for organic free range eggs ? a dozen ? $6-$8 ?

Back
Top Bottom