Coop Ventilation Help (Lots of Pictures Included!)

Jul 30, 2021
I have raised chickens for a long time, and I have always had a standard chicken coop (hardware cloth sides, upstairs area for roosts and nest boxes, etc). However, I decided to upgrade to something bigger now that I have a much larger flock (and the fact that the old coops were practically disintegrating!), so I now have a 6x14 storage shed that I am converting into a coop for around 18 chickens. And while this seems to be a hot topic often discussed here, I am still unsure/concerned about adding enough ventilation to this building so the chickens are healthy. Maybe I am overthinking this whole thing, but after researching a bit, it seems a little complicated - for example, I have heard that adding a specific vent on the side along with ones in the roof can cause the air to move the opposite direction, filling the coop with stagnant air instead of removing it. I just want to make sure that these ideas would help the old air flow out of the coop efficiently. I have added some pictures, and I will explain some of my thoughts about what I could do, but if anyone experienced with this sort of thing would like to help out, that would be greatly appreciated!

1. The building came with two windows, but I think I will permanently close the one in the first picture because I will be storing feed against that wall. In the second photo, I may completely remove the window fixture and just put hardware cloth to increase the area. I also added a vent in the door (I don't remember the exact dimensions - I believe it is 2ft long).
ImportedPhoto_1709600539979.jpg
ImportedPhoto_1709600490582.jpg

2. For this wall, I am thinking about cutting a hole that spans the entire length of the run, since it should keep most of the water out. This will be above the roost (yes, that poop board needs a good scraping, I know). It could probably be about 10in wide, and around 8ft long, and I think it would be high enough not to be drafty while they sleep?
ImportedPhoto_1709600513280.jpg
ImportedPhoto_1709600338326.jpg
ImportedPhoto_1709600433307.jpg

3. This is the window I will be closing off, but you can see the two vents in the ceiling. The other side has the same thing. I am not sure how effective these are, especially for the large amount of moisture chickens release, as the opening seems very small. Is there anything better to replace these with, or should I just leave them? Additionally, if I add vents along the side (the previous photos), will the air exit both the wall vents and these (I don't know how physics works!!)?
ImportedPhoto_1709600468331.jpg
ImportedPhoto_1709600450683.jpg

4. This is the far wall, which has nothing on it (I will most likely be adding another roost there). From what I understand, there must be vents both low and high to create air circulation. Maybe a stupid question, but if I add vents at ground-level on this wall, will the poop board impede the flow of air entering from the vent? Would it be better to add one above the roost, like on the other wall?
The second photo is located underneath the existing roost, and it is simply the exit door into the run. Would vents underneath the roost similar to this size, as well as above it, create good circulation? Or should high vents be in one location and low vents in another? (Wow, I totally feel like I am overcomplicating this:barnie)
ImportedPhoto_1709600407283.jpg
ImportedPhoto_1709600364930.jpg

5. Okay, last point. I am going to get chicks in a few days, and I am considering brooding them in the coop, which I have seen multiple people do on here. I was thinking that underneath this shelf would be the perfect place, but I am once again concerned about ventilation, especially for the young chicks' delicate lungs. It is unlikely that I will be able to cut all the holes I just talked about before I get the chicks, so what do you guys think? I can cut holes out under this shelf if need be - I am not worried about turning this building into Swiss cheese if it means keeping my babies healthy!
ImportedPhoto_1709600399152.jpg

That was quite a lot, but thanks to anyone who took the time to read through it all! To sum it up, I guess I would like to know how to add enough ventilation to accommodate about 18 birds, and since I know nothing of physics, I want to make sure the old air is properly removed from the building. Also, please feel free to let me know if I am overcomplicating this and should just start chopping away, but if there is a good technique to ensure adequate air circulation, I would love to implement it :).

Attachments

• ImportedPhoto_1709600450683.jpg
    ImportedPhoto_1709600450683.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 10
It's good you worry about the lungs. Ammonia and high humidity can make them more susceptible to respiratory illnesses.

The lower you can keep the humidity and ammonia, the less need for as much ventilation as some sites/people will tell you.

Our ventilation is a digital exhaust fan that rarely runs, but keeps the coop cooler in the summer and removes humidity in the winter. Albeit a vent in the human door to the shed so it has a way to draw air, that's all we have for ventilation. The humidity in the coop right now with 14 adult chickens in it is 53% and it's 81% outside.

We have no open water in the coop. We use DYI 5-gallon bucket with horizontal nipples.

We put down 2-3" of horse bedding pellets every spring, and do zero maintenance until the next spring. Stall refresher works the same way on the poop boards. Both eliminate moisture from poop and absorb it, so no odors, no ammonia, no moisture. It's all dried out.

These are ways to cut corners on putting in ventilation and I'm sure there are more or better ideas, but this has worked for us for many years and no sick chickens. ☺️

It's good you worry about the lungs. Ammonia and high humidity can make them more susceptible to respiratory illnesses.

The lower you can keep the humidity and ammonia, the less need for as much ventilation as some sites/people will tell you.

Our ventilation is a digital exhaust fan that rarely runs, but keeps the coop cooler in the summer and removes humidity in the winter. Albeit a vent in the human door to the shed so it has a way to draw air, that's all we have for ventilation. The humidity in the coop right now with 14 adult chickens in it is 53% and it's 81% outside.

We have no open water in the coop. We use DYI 5-gallon bucket with horizontal nipples.

We put down 2-3" of horse bedding pellets every spring, and do zero maintenance until the next spring. Stall refresher works the same way on the poop boards. Both eliminate moisture from poop and absorb it, so no odors, no ammonia, no moisture. It's all dried out.

These are ways to cut corners on putting in ventilation and I'm sure there are more or better ideas, but this has worked for us for many years and no sick chickens. ☺️
Good to know, thanks! I'll consider getting something to measure humidity, and I'll soon be using nipples rather than the open waterer. And I haven't heard of using horse bedding pellets, so maybe I'll look into that as well

I think you are overthinking it a wee bit.

1. Should be fine the way you have it planned, as long as that "window" by the door has sufficient protection to keep precipitation out.

2. That's a good place to put a big vent, so the plan sounds good.

3. I'd leave the ceiling vents as long as they aren't problematic (like leaking around seams or anything).

4. Admittedly I don't understand the high and low vent thing (though I do have 2 low vents which were recommended by the builder, so I guess there's something to it)? Many coops don't include floor height vents so I wouldn't sweat it.

5. Due to the large air volume in the building I would not worry about having chicks brooding in the coop before ventilation is added, unless we're talking a massive number of chicks.

I was just signing in to ask about using a shed as a coop! I really like your ideas. Are you adding that ventilation for their confinement in bad/cold weather ?

I think you are overthinking it a wee bit.

1. Should be fine the way you have it planned, as long as that "window" by the door has sufficient protection to keep precipitation out.

2. That's a good place to put a big vent, so the plan sounds good.

3. I'd leave the ceiling vents as long as they aren't problematic (like leaking around seams or anything).

4. Admittedly I don't understand the high and low vent thing (though I do have 2 low vents which were recommended by the builder, so I guess there's something to it)? Many coops don't include floor height vents so I wouldn't sweat it.

5. Due to the large air volume in the building I would not worry about having chicks brooding in the coop before ventilation is added, unless we're talking a massive number of chicks.
Perfect, thanks!

I was just signing in to ask about using a shed as a coop! I really like your ideas. Are you adding that ventilation for their confinement in bad/cold weather ?
Great minds think alike! But yeah, they are able to go in the run whenever they want, but I figured it's best to have adequate ventilation for when they sleep, especially in the winter when excessive moisture can lead to frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom