Help with coop

Yes thank you you guys have helped so much I'm new to this so I'm trying to learn as much as possible I'll see if I can scrap up a little more wood to make it to 4x8

thumbsup.gif

Yes thank you you guys have helped so much I'm new to this so I'm trying to learn as much as possible I'll see if I can scrap up a little more wood to make it to 4x8

Sounds like a plan!! You're very welcome :) and to be honest I'm pretty new too, got my chicks in October, but I've been lurking for a while. But I think they definitely wont complain about a little extra space and it may make it easier on you but you're also close enough to the line and both numbers that if you can't manage to find more wood then I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you notice fighting or anything and even then you can always up the run size :) the minimums and maximums definitely matter but you're so close to the numbers one or two birds might not affect their behavior much but I would still try to upgrade if you can. I think a bigger concern, for example, is when people try fitting like 15 or 25 in a 4x4 or 4x6 space and then that obviously becomes a concern. I think with only one extra bird in a 4x6 you should be okay to start but definitely try to find more wood if you can :)

Well I got a 8x4 coop found some white metal roofing and the run is 10x16 I'm still building it should my nest boxes be put on the floor of the coop or up a few inches

Either, I'm not sure it really makes much difference to be honest (for the chickens, at least).

CT

That's great you were able to build it bigger! As for the nest boxes, we are attaching ours to the outside of the coop so they have the full 4x8 floor space and also so we can access them from the outside. We have ours at ground level but not sure the chickens care. I heard some say when on the floor they have to walk through poop and dirty the nests faster but our current one is on the floor too and the only issue with dirty eggs I have had is when we don't clean the coop or the boxes often enough, when fresh shavings are added it is not an issue. Just be sure they have the full 4x8 floor space as usable but other than that it shouldn't matter too mucb

We mounted ours to the wall about 18" off the floor as to not use up floor space, but the hens probably don't care one way or the other.
This^^^

Here's my theory on the 'stack up' aspect to coop design:
Bottom of pop door should be about 8" above floor so bedding doesn't get dragged out of coop.
Nice to have bottom of nests about 18" above bedding to allow use of that floor space under them(doesn't count if your nests are mounted on outside of coop).
Roosts should be about 12" higher than nests so birds won't roost(sleep) in nests and poop in them, if you use poop boards under roosts it will also 'stretch' your floor space.
Upper venting should be as high as possible above roosts so no strong drafts hit roosts in winter...and hot/moist air and ammonia can rise and exit coop.

Thanks for the info guys I'm doing 3 nest boxes that will be connected to the outside and my roosts with a poop board let the chicks check it out today they didn't know what to do with all the space in the run it was fun watching them run around trying to fly

Hi all! I was wondering if I could get some ideas on how to finish this coop and make it ready for my chicks. I bought it for only $30 but it needs some work.

Back
Top Bottom