Help with Curmudgeonly Labor and Board of Health

she is encrotching your property it hasd to end now as if she continues long enough some states will allow her to absorb your land into heres. I say take away everything that is not hers put up a big fence and flip her the bird
smile.png

Last edited:
A.T. Hagan :

Absolutely do not involve your state DEP or the EPA. It doesn't matter if it's her trash because it's YOUR property and it will be YOUR problem.

The garden is not a problem. That is ephemeral and she can relocate it. The well is. Given the time, effort, and expense you've already invested in this mess I'd consult with a local real-estate attorney (first consultations are often free) to see what your best legal maneuver is going to be about fencing and her well. You've got a lasting enemy on your hands so you need to be very careful not to make a misstep that she can take advantage of.

I think this mature and rational approach is best. Good luck!
Meanwhile, keep the chickens penned- a large, chain link dog kennel will do wonders. Put some netting over the top to prevent flying chickens.​

A.T. Hagan :

Absolutely do not involve your state DEP or the EPA. It doesn't matter if it's her trash because it's YOUR property and it will be YOUR problem.

The garden is not a problem. That is ephemeral and she can relocate it. The well is. Given the time, effort, and expense you've already invested in this mess I'd consult with a local real-estate attorney (first consultations are often free) to see what your best legal maneuver is going to be about fencing and her well. You've got a lasting enemy on your hands so you need to be very careful not to make a misstep that she can take advantage of.

Just so you understand, the people who illegally dispose of stuff (even if done by the hands of another) are the ones who get to pick up the tab.

Dumping on the land of another was a crime the last I looked.

As for having a lasting enemy, that's a given.​

Go to the town and look up your property deed and make sure that she does not have an easement on their for the well. The previous owner of your property may have given her permission to drill there, but if it;s not written into the deed then there's no proving it and it HAS TO GO!

I would send her a certified letter detailing (with pics) the surveyors report on lines and her trash being on your property, along with her garden AND well. If there is no easement in the deed, I would give her 30 days to Relocate the well, remove the trash and vacate the garden. (you cant take a chance on her getting hurt in the garden on YOUR property). Let her know that whatever course of action she is going to take, you NEED copies of everyone's INSURANCE BEFORE they are allowed on YOUR property to remove anything. An approved schedule of events to include proposed actions on removing trash, where it will be disposed of, how the land will be restored, how the approx 100' of well casing will be removed from the well and filled in, needs to be submitted so that people dont show up at 2am with equipment and workers.

Also let her know that you are truely sorry that the relationship has broken down to this point and you wish that it didnt have to come to this. You understand her concerns and although you made every attempt to accommodate her, it was the "going to the town" that took the issue out of your hands and are now FORCED to do things legally. During the course of trying to accomodate her you found the well, trash and garden is on your property and you are now forced to remove her from your property. She has 30 days to comply or you WILL remove the trash AND the well AND take her to court for the cost of everything, to INCLUDE your time for coordinating this and the surveyor to reaffirm the lines as well as restoring the land in the garden to it's original condition. Also, this cert'd letter serves as formal and final notice that nobody is allowed on YOUR property in the garden, or to address these written demands, WITHOUT formal written acceptance of her plan and schedule of events. I would also send a copy to the local health dept or whoever contacted you before, so they are aware of the situation and will ignore or dismiss any future calls from her.

This will send her over the edge but, the reality IS, that you really HAVE NO choice now. You have to do this legally now. She raised the bar and now you have to finish it. In the end, you "may" go back to being nice-nice but for now you HAVE to protect yourself.

As a side note, I would get a cost on removing the well and keep it. A new pump will run you about $300 and you'll have free water. Tell her the cost of removing the well is what the "rent" was for your land all this time.

Let us know how you make out

Back
Top Bottom