Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I buy the local mill blend

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

aliciaplus3

Free Ranging
Oct 24, 2016
Colorado
I am currently looking into having my local feed store mix a custom blend chicken feed for me....
Right now I am looking at the following
535 pounds of wheat
200 pounds of purina acculine chicken premix
200 pounds of alfalfa pellets
50 pounds of oyster shell
15 pounds of limestone
As close as I can figure this would be about 17% protein. I think that the lysine and methionine should be close to correct. I am hoping for feedback from an expert as to wether this would be a good ration. I have tried to use several online feed calculators but they do not seem to have these ingredients.

The Purina premix should come with a recommended ratio to use for each age of chicken.
I would add a legume like peas with the wheat for a better balance of amino acids and maybe even an additional grain like barley or oats.

The Purina premix should come with a recommended ratio to use for each age of chicken.
I would add a legume like peas with the wheat for a better balance of amino acids and maybe even an additional grain like barley or oats.
It does come with a recommendation but only list corn mixes.....it has a good amount of lysine....I have access thru my lcoal feed store to the purina premix as well as a premix that is exclusive to my feed store.... the feed store premix has more methionine and less lysine .... I have spent too much time mind screwing this.
I do have a custom mix that I havery run by a nutritionist that includes both corn and soy, I have a person that is willing to take all of my extera a week if I can go no corn no soy.... so I am trying to amend my recipe and see if it would be doable without breaking the bank.

How many birds are you feeding on average?
Are they adult layers, broilers or chicks?
I guess you have the ability to store bulk feed.

How many birds are you feeding on average?
Are they adult layers, broilers or chicks?
I guess you have the ability to store bulk feed.
Oh this would be for my pullets and layers (over 3 months). My feed store has a pull behind storage / feed dispenser that I will be renting that will hold up to a ton. It's called a versa tote..... very handy when you have lots to move/store. I currently go thru a 55 gal barrel a week but I have over 100 birds. I plan to keep feeding my babies the starter ration that my feed store makes up.

Back
Top Bottom