Help with DOGS

Well they aren't pets and dad shure enjoys getting the eggs so I wish he'd fix it but he can be a stubborn ignorant person when he wants to be.
I do have a run but the problem is I have some sick chickens that I'd have to put up in there and I don't want it to spread. And I'm afraid the game rooster would hurt the baby chicks I also have running loose

Look I would love to train the dogs but we have only had them about a month and dad just started putting them in the dog lot. If I knew they would kill chickens I wouldn't keep them in there
Each time I try something new and they just keep doing it so today was the last straw (they for shure were the cause of death) (I know this because it wasn't a sick bird) and I cannot stop my life and whatch my dogs all day I have school. They only kill when I am gone that's why it's so frustrating. They know not to kill when I'm there.

They're predators. Of course they're going to kill the chickens. You need to stop leaving them together unsupervised.

Quote:
This is it in a nutshell, there really aren't a lot of options here. Dogs and chickens have to be kept separate at all times since it doesn't sound like anyone has the time to invest in properly training these dogs and things are way out of hand already. Either that or rehome the dogs or the chickens.

Well they aren't pets and dad shure enjoys getting the eggs so I wish he'd fix it but he can be a stubborn ignorant person when he wants to be.
I do have a run but the problem is I have some sick chickens that I'd have to put up in there and I don't want it to spread. And I'm afraid the game rooster would hurt the baby chicks I also have running loose

Look I would love to train the dogs but we have only had them about a month and dad just started putting them in the dog lot. If I knew they would kill chickens I wouldn't keep them in there
Each time I try something new and they just keep doing it so today was the last straw (they for shure were the cause of death) (I know this because it wasn't a sick bird) and I cannot stop my life and whatch my dogs all day I have school. They only kill when I am gone that's why it's so frustrating. They know not to kill when I'm there.
Well, from these two posts it appears you're hoping for a magic solution to drop out of the sky. No one said to stop your life and watch the dogs. Training was mentioned, and that could have been started the day you got them. At this point, separation is the only way the killing is going to stop. If you're not willing to take that on yourself, or ask your dad (explaining why it needs to be done since you mentioned that he can be "stubborn and ignorant at times") to help you so he can continue to collect eggs. If he doesn't, your chickens will all be dead and there will be no more eggs. Simple as that. I hope for your chickens' sakes you can figure out a solution or give or sell them to someone who can keep them safe.

First, this is a "natural" behavior. Dogs are predators. They chase things. They kill things.
These are puppies. They need to be taught what not to kill and what to kill. What is acceptable and what is not.
Dogs are not a robots. They also can not read your mind.
Being a responsible dog owner, you or whoever is "in charge" of them,
needs to take some time each day to exercise, train, and actually raise them. Teach them-otherwise, how will they ever know what you ask?
Also, they could be doing this out of pure boredom, if they are in a kennel 24/7, get them some toys, treat toys, "mind" toys. Make sure they recieve
adequate exercise. You chose two breeds who are working dogs/higher energy.
It is not difficult. You just need to educate yourself on the how to's and on canine behavior.
These dogs are pups, like you have said. They are at an age that should be especially easy to engrain good behavior and to
stop unwanted behaviors. But, these are animals. You can't put them in a pen and expect them to be perfect. It takes work.
*If they only kill when you are gone, you will need to separate them from the chickens- while you are gone... Preferably, separate each dog to his own pen.
Dogs also act out/do things they normally wouldn't do-like killing small animals-when together. Pack mentality.
If you don't have the time or patience or don't like the advice given by some of the people who replied, rehome the dogs. Otherwise, expect this behavior
to continue and get worse.

Beginner2015,

I have an inclination to chew your butt. Realize immediate separation of dogs and chickens and begin the controlled training process.

I am a professor of agriculture that trains students with the same or similar career aspirations you have. I also keep gamefowl and employ dogs for the protection of all my poultry. When you do such, you must think ahead and have resources in place enabling proper containment for all your concerns including health issues. Mixing species with improper preparations is also high on the not smart list. Get your act together and take the responsibility that goes with your chosen activity and indicated interests, otherwise get rid of what you cannot properly care for. There is nothing wrong with starting out small so you can ramp up resources in a manner you can afford.

Look into pallets as a means of constructing very low cost chicken pens to get you through winter,

Last edited:
Beginner2015,

I have an inclination to chew your butt. Realize immediate separation of dogs and chickens and begin the controlled training process.

I am a professor of agriculture that trains students with the same or similar career aspirations you have. I also keep gamefowl and employ dogs for the protection of all my poultry. When you do such, you must think ahead and have resources in place enabling proper containment for all your concerns including health issues. Mixing species with improper preparations is also high on the not smart list. Get your act together and take the responsibility that goes with your chosen activity and indicated interests, otherwise get rid of what you cannot properly care for. There is nothing wrong with starting out small so you can ramp up resources in a manner you can afford.

Look into pallets as a means of constructing very low cost chicken pens to get you through winter,
I think our OP is young and possibly doesn't have a cooperative parent to help rectify this situation. I do agree that they either need to separate immediately or get rid of the chickens until they have proper housing and a way to separate chickens and dogs. I also agree that they should take responsibility for these birds. Blaming the parent only goes so far in my book.

if you want chickens out during day, chain dogs while you are not there. release and train dogs while you are there be active with them and the chickens. if you want dogs out pen chikens and use electric fence around pen to keep dogs away. again release chickens work with them both. it is usually easier to train one dog at a time

Since you have chickens, you are responsible for them, and need to keep them safe. They can't do it for themselves. Before you do anything at all you need to get your chickens safe. Possibly build another pen.

If your dogs keep killing your chickens, it's cruel. I don't think you wanted any cruelty, but you need to stop the killing now.

Back
Top Bottom