Help with drake/female ratio

So as an update to this I have since gotten rid of all the drakes except dad and one son….I contemplated for some time after keeping all the boys locked if I was going to keep 1 or not. But I did end up keeping one of the more docile males, lower in the pecking order.
BUT now my problem is dad has assumed all girls for himself ( 3 hens) and spends his day chasing the other drake away. Luckily I have a lot of area where they can get away from each other but the young drake is gluten for punishment and won’t let it be…..so I have found 3 females to add to our flock that are currently in quarantine as I just got them yesterday. I am hoping this evens things out or am I wishful thinking??!!
We have 16 ducks and 2 drakes. Our youngest drake decided all 16 females belong to him, so he was doing his best to prevent the other older drake from mating. As time has gone on a bit longer they still have some issues, but not as frequently. Eventually I plan to have separate areas for males and females and a breeding area.

So as an update to this I have since gotten rid of all the drakes except dad and one son….I contemplated for some time after keeping all the boys locked if I was going to keep 1 or not. But I did end up keeping one of the more docile males, lower in the pecking order.
BUT now my problem is dad has assumed all girls for himself ( 3 hens) and spends his day chasing the other drake away. Luckily I have a lot of area where they can get away from each other but the young drake is gluten for punishment and won’t let it be…..so I have found 3 females to add to our flock that are currently in quarantine as I just got them yesterday. I am hoping this evens things out or am I wishful thinking??!!
When they get out of quarantine I would add the young drake with them for a few weeks
This way they will take ti him
Then each boy will have his ladies
Don’t be surprised though my boys still go to the other girls but stay by their crew most the time

I didn’t check this post before I let the ladies out but….
Girls are out of quarantine and have been let out on the big pond for 2 days now and pretty much do their own thing….probably because the three Khacki gals are sisters and my pond is big enough. They hang out a bit with the other flock but seem to avoid the young male and even one of the new females argues with him so….they seem to be independent divas I got 😜
I normally don’t lock anyone up at night ( except the new girls) because they started refusing to go in even for evening meals and I can’t get them off the pond so it is what it is. They DO however sleep in the middle of the pond so predators have a lesser chance of getting them at night, thank goodness.

My concern still is nobody likes the poor young male…all the original 3 females do that “ head thing” telling him to stay away and he seems to be oblivious to the new girls….he is basically an outcast 😞
So….I know things will calm down once spring is over BUT will he always be an outcast??
I could still lock him up with the 3 new ladies for a bit….My pen isn’t big enough for them all to stay in 24/7 it was just intended to keep them safe at night and free range during the day.
I would like to add a different lineage all together to the flock so also considering getting rid of the young male and just introducing a new drake??
Thoughts?!? This has been WAY more thinking and planning then I expected….I just want them to be happy and cohesive 😜

You could keep the mother and father, and the additional females, maybe 1 more male. The only thing about having them together is the Father and his son may have dominance issues, and then maybe the issue of inbreeding with your ducks. If you kept the Mother Father pair and then the two females, you could get a drake from a different breeder, and sell the rest of your drakes.
Or keep them in a Bachelor Group away from the Females.
I personally would keep the 3 females, the older male, and then have 2 of the males in a bachelor group( One for breeding and one for company).
And then at some point buy 3 or 4 females for the male(s). That would reduce risk of inbreeding, and let me keep some of my original Juvenile Drakes.
You could also keep your set up as it is but downsize the Bachelor group from 6 to 3 then get 6 Females and keep the Mother, Father, Daughter pair and Bachelor pair away from each other.
Im not sure if this was any help but let me know how it goes.
My problem is I don’t want to have them locked away so I can’t have different groups…I need a good ratio that can live cohesive together all year. I only intended to lock them up at night away from predators so my pen is very basic because they free range all day

Back
Top Bottom