Help with duck 'behavior'...Pochard

mominoz

Crowing
14 Years
Feb 17, 2009
North Georgia
I got my first ornamentals last year. A silver hybrid Pochard pair. Sadly, the male got entangled in a bit of fence and had a bit of bleeding on the wing. I checked him and thought him ok. A week later I found him dead. Now , I had noticed he and the female were kind of head fighting, her more on him...I have raised domestics for 10 years and never saw this behavior in a female to a male..I had seen it male on male or female on female on rare occasion. I thought maybe it was a form of strange romance...or she was a he, but by coloration it is a she... Now I have purchased a pair of regular red heads and hoped maybe she may breed with him later at some time. I put them in the same temp. pen which is 8X 6 until the big one is done...they are a year younger than her and she seemed to again pick on the male.....so I separated them... she managed to get in with them and found them head pecking and the male hanging on her tongue... again for safety I separated them...she is trying to 'bicker' thru the mesh....so what gives? Any suggestions? I was considering getting her 'her own mate'....but not sure if the first drake died due to stress of injury or if she harmed him somehow.... the breeder said that ornamentals get stressed easily and he may have died from stress... thank you

Back
Top Bottom