Help with duck eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KDailey, Jan 4, 2012.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I have some duck eggs I want to incubate but I need to know temps and how much they differ from chicken eggs when incubating. My incubator is set perfectly for my chicken eggs and I really don't want to mess with it. I do have another incubator I can use, it's just not as good.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Same temps, higher humidity at lock down, of course they do take longer. What do you know about duck egg incubation?

3. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I read about it when I first got my incubator and was going to incubate chicken eggs but I've forgotten it all and when I searched duck egg incubation on here I got a bunch of super duper long topics that would take forever to look through with our Internet.

How many days? When do you take them out if the turner?

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:what kind of ducks?

regular ducks are 28 days
    lockdown: day 25

muscovy are 35 days (on average)
    lockdown: day 32

5. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I have a blue Swedish, a runner, what I think is a harlequin, and a call. Those are the hens. I have a call drake and a harlequin drake

6. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    i just set pekin duck eggs this is my first time for duck eggs as well. i have hatched chickens twice. i am using a homemade incubator that i set to 99.5-100 i am keeping the hummidity around 40 and turning the eggs 4-5 times a day i also mist them a little once a day. other then that the only difference i can see is the incubation time (28 days for the ducks i have ) and i read you should candle around day 7-9 where usually candle chicken eggs on day 3! when are yours due to hatch ? mine should be hatching on jan 28-29th if all goes well!!! Good luck its nice to see someone else who is also trying for the first time [​IMG]

7. GrannysRoost

GrannysRoost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Casa Grande
    This is my first time with ducks too, I have 21 left of 29 shipped welsh harlequin eggs due to hatch on the 18th, 1 of them is a double with both growing, hubby made me leave it in [​IMG] I have been keeping at about 100 and 50% humidity, turning 3 or 5 times a day. On day 10 when I turned I started misting once a day, I found so much conflicting information that I just decided on the method and seems to be working so far [​IMG]

8. Loretta212

Loretta212 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Meriden ct
    with my last chicken hatch i had 3 double yokers and not one of them hatched [​IMG] i watched them grow for a while but in the end they didnt make it

9. cbohn80

cbohn80 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    nj
    i'm on day 7 and dont see any veins when i candle, what went wrong? could it have been too cold when i collected the eggs?

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

i don't candle duck eggs til day 10 or 12.. have even had ducks hatch out babies in the snow when i lived up north.. so give it a few more days before you toss them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by