Help with duckling !!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lexlopey, Mar 22, 2017.

1. lexlopey

lexlopey New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    So in some parts of Texas they hatch bby chicks and ducks nd then they dye them. I think I stumbled across two that weren't light enough to be dyed so they were tossed aside at some lake . They couldn't swim yet or eat by them selves , there were a lot of strays and I didn't want to just leave them there to die so I took them. A guy told me two little girls had them in a plastic bin n dropped them off there . Anyways iv been following and reading posts on here on what to feed them n what not. Well they were fine now one of them isn't walking right , almost like it's walking on it's knees n the feet part is sticking up n looks kind of blended wrong . I'm think maby spraddle legs??? Idk but I'm really hoping it gets better . Anyone have any clue what this mightbe n how I can fix it. I found them a good farm here in Iowa that is hwatrd and the animals are well taken care of but I want to make sure it's okay n will live n thrive with the rest of the ducks and chickens . [​IMG]

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You would do better (I hope) to post your questions on the "Duck thread." Just put that in the search box above and it will pop up for you. I know ducklings have leg problems etc, if they have a niacin deficiency. I hope it will be okay. Thank you for saving them. What a bad tradition it is to dye the light ones and toss the others like trash.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, lexlopey, and [​IMG]! It's great to have you in our community! Hope you duck turns out okay!

5. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thank you for rescuing the ducklings!

6. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Lexlopey [​IMG] Welcome!

What a sad story [​IMG] Kudos to you for rescuing and caring for the little guys! I hope the folks on the Duck Forum are able to help you out.

7. lexlopey

lexlopey New Egg

Mar 22, 2017
    So i got him on brewers yeast for lack of niacin n they went to their forever home today . So excited for them to have a good life on an awsome farm with awsome caring people . Thanks everyone .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by