Help with egg eating!

Hi Avery! I have some ideas. you can find something more interesting then eggs for your chickens to eat. you could put food out in the morning for them. possibly you could put something else the chickens won't want to eat. Are these Ideas helpful? bye! -Nia
I love those ideas! I will look into that, maybe I could even find something like that with extra protein! Thanks so much!

It’s, pelleted. I have the coop detentions and Pics above like you asked for, if that helps!
Here’s a pic of the cat treats! And how much should I give them?
image.jpg
image.jpg

I had a similar problem, eventually I took black cloth and hung it everywhere in the box, they couldn’t see, and thus stopped pecking the eggs open.

creating more space by putting more night time nesting boxes above the perches
They should not be sleeping, at nighttime, in nesting boxes.

It’s, pelleted. I have the coop detentions and Pics above like you asked for, if that helps!
Is that one 2x2 the only roost you have?
Should have 12" of roost length for each bird.

Coop: 8ft tall 3ft 4" wide
Nesting Boxes: 3ft wide 1ft 3" back
So coop floor is 3x3"?
That's tight space for 8 birds.
Do you have a run or just free range?

Here’s a pic of the cat treats! And how much should I give them?
I'd hold off on this for now, just give them the new feed.
Or a can of plain mackerel packed in water.
Cat food has a lot of salt.

Yes, they have huge run outside where they spend all day. We also let them supervise free range or free range most of the day when we are around. We have a HUGE yard so they have plenty of space. We are working on getting more perches up, we just need to get a board that is the right length. I do know that our coop is to small for 8 birds But we are trying to utilize space the best we can. Why shouldn't they sleep in nesting boxes, I know they shouldn't sleep with their eggs, but since we have older chickens, they don't like to perch really like the others. Thanks for all the help, Avery

Update-
I put out the high protein feed yesterday and the flock SWARMED! They loved it! They ate a whole bunch and today there were no cracked eggs! I watched one of my hens lay one and even left it in there for 10-15 minuets and they didn't eat it! I am so happy! Thank you guys for all the help, I guess it was jus protein hu!

I have a lot to learn, any feedback is welcome. Thanks, Avery!
Dear Avery,

I have only found one thing tat works with egg eaters, and that is roll away nests. I made them, using astroturf for liners, and most of the time they work very well. If I get a soft shell egg, they will peck it before it rolls away. Sometimes they will peck an egg that is temporarily blocked by another hen's foot. The pecked egg will roll away, but this is relatively rare. The best slope for the nest seems to be a three inch drop over 1 foot. The receiving area is cushioned so they won't break. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom