Help with equimax dosage

SBaltz

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Dixon, California
My 3.5lb barred rock (she lost weight and while smaller to begin with, we just realized the cause… tapeworm), is getting treatment this morning, but I wanted to know if she would be ok on the .15ml dosage as prescribed for a 5 lb bird, or if I could reduce it to the exact dosage .09ml for her size right now? She is eating, drinking, engaging as mostly normal, but excessively sleepy and weight loss. Yesterday by chance we found segments in her poop (first time we have seen the segments since she started showing sleepy signs). Will a dose of .15ml be too much for her?? Will the .09 ml work on the tapeworm as effectively?

i have had her withheld from food since 3 hours before her bedtime last night, so her insides are ready for the meds!
thanks!

Welll….. i gave her the dose I thought was correct, and in looking at my numbers afterwards, I realized my measurement was way off and I doubled the amount! I kept questioning my numbers and ended up giving her a large pea sized amount, which is well more than she should have gotten from what I can tell…. based on other places I have been scouring, it looks like this isn’t likely to be fatal for her, but is there anything I can do for her if she does start showing deteriorating signs? I am going to get a clear record of which meds and dosages for each so I don’t flub it up again.

Equimax horse paste dose is 0.16ml per 5 pounds of weight, so if your BR weighs 3.5 pounds, the dose would be .11ml once, then repeat in 10-14 days.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rms-under-construction.1220309/#post-19519143
Thanks! I inadvertently overdosed her. I am seriously kicking myself on it and am frantically trying to figure out what to do. Several places have indicated they don’t use syringes, but eyeball a pea sized amount…. I am praying that it is ok.

Why eyeball a pea size when you already had the info of dosing/drawing up/measuring by weight?

Anyway. Likely won't kill her. When it's time to repeat dosing in 10-14 days measure it out and give her the correct amount.

Why eyeball a pea size when you already had the info of dosing/drawing up/measuring by weight?

Anyway. Likely won't kill her. When it's time to repeat dosing in 10-14 days measure it out and give her the correct amount.
Because I was questioning myself and had several different dosage amounts for what turned out to be not equimax and in my questioning, I settled on the wrong one. I didn’t eyeball the amount, but other sources were saying a pea sized amount (not to me, but in other threads to others asking on pieces). I overthought it and misread my syringe amount. When I checked the measured amount I gave her (afterwards), it was more on the larger pea size and I started worrying. I am putting together a list of exact dosages and their meds now so I don’t get them mixed up again.

Because I was questioning myself and had several different dosage amounts for what turned out to be not equimax and in my questioning, I settled on the wrong one. I didn’t eyeball the amount, but other sources were saying a pea sized amount (not to me, but in other threads to others asking on pieces). I overthought it and misread my syringe amount. When I checked the measured amount I gave her (afterwards), it was more on the larger pea size and I started worrying. I am putting together a list of exact dosages and their meds now so I don’t get them mixed up again.
Oh, I see. Sometimes when looking for dosing info, look at the thread dates...try to find the most current dates. Some old threads pop up during searches and "pea size" did seem to be what people were using several years ago, but now we have more current and accurate info in the newer threads.

Good idea on making a list - I need to do that too. I've got a notebook to write all this in just in case my computer (or brain) fails, but haven't took the time to do it.

Back
Top Bottom