Help with figuring out what to do with broody eggs.

LearninMyFlock

Songster
5 Years
Jul 9, 2016
Pennsylvania
While on vacation more hens went broody. But the eggs are not covered everytime we look at them. How many eggs can one hen have under her at a time with success? How do I figure out which eggs to leave under my hens and which to remove? Do I wash the eggs before incubating them? And how do I know what to set my incubator at? The more chicks the merrier here. But I don't want all my eggs going bad and no chicks. I'm thinking maybe the other hens are still laying in the nest boxes with the eggs that they are setting.

Can anyone help me?

I would have a max of 7 eggs under them then. Candle and discard any clears. Then candle each hen's next individually and find the youngest looking ones (ones that have been added later or were left out longer than others) and if there are more than 7 eggs, take the youngest ones away until you have 7 in each nest

I would have a max of 7 eggs under them then. Candle and discard any clears. Then candle each hen's next individually and find the youngest looking ones (ones that have been added later or were left out longer than others) and if there are more than 7 eggs, take the youngest ones away until you have 7 in each nest
Thank you!!!
Mark the eggs you leave under broody and remove any that show up.

Thank you!!!

Don't wash eggs! You are washing off the layer that protects them from harmful bacteria
Thank you!!! What about them being so dirty? (My broodies can make very dirty eggs.) They'll be fine in an incubator?

How do I decide what to incubate the eggs on ( Temp and humidity) with the extra eggs I don't leave under them?

Have you had experience with moving broodies? I would prefer they don't hog up my nest boxes. Is there anything special to do as far as moving them? Also do they care which eggs are under them? Or can I choose the 7 each of all the oldest living eggs and divide them under the broodies?

Yes, I know I have so many questions. I love learning and hearing from voice of experience and I would hate to lose all my eggs. And also am ready for some more fresh eggs and not being all mixed in. What a job.

Back
Top Bottom