Help with finding out how my chicken died (possible heart attack?)

Dutch317

Hatching
Apr 5, 2021
Only today, one of my chickens, called Rox, (a young healthy rooster) that passed away today and I cannot figure out what happened :(. I think he had been dead no more than 6 -7 hours when we found him. But when we found him his whole body was erect and he was very stiff and tucked in (like wings and legs). His neck was stiff and rigid and was erect and wasn't in its usual position. His combe and wattle were a very dark purple colour, which I'm not sure is related to his cause of death or a result of time elapsed after his death.

With this knowledge I'm guessing Rox had a heart attack as he was found in the pen that held the older chickens (1 rooster and 5 hens) which over stressed hime. Rox is a younger rooster and kept in the pen with the younger chickens. Rox was also a very timid rooster and spent most of his life just standing guard with the younger chickens and doesn't pick up a fight with anyone. So when he's usually with the older chickens, the older rooster chases him around and makes him stressed which is a big jump from his usual state of rest. I'm not sure if this caused him to have a heart attack as he been chased by the older rooster many times before (though in his younger days).

He was also found next to the fence which I believe he had the ability to jump over. I now only realise that there was a sharp wire poking out near the top of the fence, which if he did try jumping onto the fence, could have poked him possibly and he might have fallen backwards. I doubt this was how he died as the wire didn't seem sharp enough to pierce his feathers (but pierce his skin for sure with a bit of force).

The last bit of information was that when I found him, which was around the time the chickens go to sleep, I noticed the older rooster(that chases Rox around) had gotten in the younger chicken's pen and was sitting down next to the younger chickens where Rox usually rests for the night. This didn't make sense as the older rooster never goes into the younger chicken's side as he always sleeps with the older females on his side. I'm not sure if he did this because he felt sorry that Rox isn't alive to look after the younger chickens and went over to the other side.

Also Rox was bleeding a little on his comb when I found him. This I assume was because the older rooster pecked him when Rox goes to mate with the females, which he has done to him many times before. Just thinking about now, when Rox is mating with the females and the older rooster pecks him to get him to get of them, Rox then gets a jump scare and immediately goes into panic and frightened state, which, again, is very different from his usual slow and relaxed life with the younger chickens. This could be a reason why possibly he had a heart attack.

I am really stuck on how he died as there were absolutely no obvious signs of any sort that anything was wrong (healthy and happy as he always is). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Rox was such a gentle and kind rooster and was very special to me. I will miss him very dearly.

Sorry about the rambling. I'm just really caught up in this sudden loss.

Last edited:
The only way to try and find a cause of death would be to keep his body cold, not frozen, and take or ship it overnight to your state vet for a necropsy. In my experience whe there are young cockerels, they may be kept from food and water, unless many food and water sites are spread out for them. The roost could have hurt him as well. I separate young cockerels when they are a few months old, so they do get hurt. Sorry for your loss.

The only way to try and find a cause of death would be to keep his body cold, not frozen, and take or ship it overnight to your state vet for a necropsy. In my experience whe there are young cockerels, they may be kept from food and water, unless many food and water sites are spread out for them. The roost could have hurt him as well. I separate young cockerels when they are a few months old, so they do get hurt. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks for replying. I don't think it's worth it to get an necrospy but it would be nice to to get some more information. We've buried him now. I think it was the other rooster that may have given him a big fright. Our aim is to keep them apart, but Rox jumps over the other fence from time to time due to mating instincts. He was about 1-2 years old.

Back
Top Bottom