Help with Frostbite, Alaska coop

WinterLadyAK,

Sorry you are having problems

I agree with Janinepeters 100%.
Cold not humidity causes frostbite.

Sounds like you are getting good advice.

Imp-Best of luck.

The indoor thermometer is located right next to the roost. Last night I closed up as much of the ventilation I could by sticking all the random leftover pieces of foamboard insulation up there. The temperature differential is now up to 10 degrees indoor to outdoor, but that still puts it below zero in the coop even WITH the heat lamp. The heat lamp is pointed out at the roost, the first pic I posted in my first post shows the general area where it's located, attached to the beam, on the other side of the door. So it's a few feet away from them, I didn't want it too close for their protection and that seemed the best place to secure the fixture (it's usually just a lightbulb in there).

Tonight I'm going to Lowes and I'm going to get another sheet of the foamboard, I figure placing the reflective side in might help trap some heat also, and I can cut the pieces to fit in each slot between the roof beams, then just place them in from the outside so they'll be pretty easy to remove. I think I'm going to cover both side vents and half of the top ones, then monitor the humidity in the coop and go from there. After covering up a bunch of it last night it still didn't break 60% in there.

Sounds like a plan. Your coop looks pretty spacious for the number of birds, which means less likely for humidity to get too high. Lots of breathing bodies crammed into a small, poorly ventilated space is what makes the humidity rise. You're doing it right, trying to keep their roosting area as warm as possible.

Honestly, it amazes me that chickens can cope at all with AK winters, since they were originally bred from a tropical species (jungle fowl). I feel sorry for mine when the temp drops into the teens, but I guess that's nothing in the scheme of things.

How are your chickens doing? Frostbite still? What have you done to ward it off? I'm in Maine and dealing with frostbite too. I have a good
10 degree difference between coop and outdoors. But it's been cold the past few days and it will continue. Just wondering.

We are experiencing negative temps here in North Dakota too. My coop is 16ftx16ftx16ft in height. I have my 56 chickens in there. We have a 5 tiered perch system that goes up the wall about 9 ft high and from there the chickens roost in the rafters or on the perches. I have the floor covered with a deep bedding of straw. I have lots of floor space for them to roam. Heating: 3 heat lamps. One above the perch, one above the watering bucket, and one off in a corner.
Ventilation: roof has a barn style roof vent which is 3 feet long.
I have one japanese bantam, Napoleon, who has frost bite which started pretty much when the negative degrees started. here in North Dakota, we frequently have negative degree wind chill so I keep the door closed and on days where it seems the temp outside will be over positive 10, i open their little hen door. I have several different breed types, single comb mostly, but he is the only one with frostbite so far. I tried using vaseline but that didn't work out so well. when the frost bite set in, i used a little bit of tea tree oil, then neosporin. the black parts are decreasing while the fleshy red is increasing.
Napoleon spends his days under the heat lamp and by the 'water cooler' now so I don't worry about him as much as I used too. the other hens have been milling from one place to another, the rafters, to the perches to the nest boxes to the heat lamp in the corner. I'm about to put in a dust bowl using the corner heat lamp to keep the 'dust/dirt/sand' dry. I hope that helped.

I agree that humidity aggravates and helps frostbite get a foot hold but I think cold cold also is not to be underestimated. -22 this AM for us (Wind chill not factored in). Well-ventilated coop. insulation in the roof only of my coop. My coop also has windows below the roosts for ventilation as well. I'll admit that I keep these windows closed. They are recycled paned sashes. My coop is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off center in it's construction so there's a crack here and there in the boards and where the windows meet their trim. My first winter with chickens my large combed Roo--a New Hampshire has had some black tips. We've done vaseline with little result. (I'm not impressed) It's just the cold to be sure. I've been dealing with this since November, I know it doesn't feel good but I know he'll recover from it as along as I keep good cleaning practices and keep it lubed up with antibiotic ointment and such to help soothe it.

Today I noticed, even though I kept the coop at -4 to 5 degrees inside today with a heat lamp that one of his front toes looked larger than the same one on the other foot. I brought him in the house and on further inspection, to my horror, I seen this toe was more whitish or paler yellow. Not "setting" right while he stood. I promptly made a shallow warm water soak in my laundry tub. Let him stand in there for 5-10 minutes. When I took him out I did take out the vaseline again (but mostly for massage purposes) and started massaging his pad on that foot and that particular toe along with the other toes on that foot for a good 10 to 15 minutes. Although still slightly more swollen than that of the other foot it did seem to come around and he was able to curl it around my finger strongly. I debated to keep him in the house tonight. But he went to the sliding glass door, as he'd had enough of me and looked out longingly at the coop. I placed him up on his 2x4 roost next to the heat lamp and his BFF hen, Sunny--stress kept to a minimum.
smile.png
I have my fingers crossed. Plan is to deepen the litter on my coop floor some more. I've got about 3 1/2 inches of pine shavings. But I think there's some nasty cold frost that harbors in it, despite me turning it once in a while.

How are your chickens doing? Frostbite still? What have you done to ward it off? I'm in Maine and dealing with frostbite too. I have a good
10 degree difference between coop and outdoors. But it's been cold the past few days and it will continue. Just wondering.
Frostbite still but laying again (some of them). We've had much warmer temps for the past month or so, but today it's -10 and dropping again. I think part of my problem is the sand. I rarely get a 10 degree difference inside and out, even with all 13 chickens inside the coop and the light bulb (not heat lamp) on. Right now it's actually 6 degrees warmer in the coop but I think that's just because since it's entirely insulated it takes longer to come down in temperature, but if temps stay this cold it'll eventually adjust and be only 2 degrees or so off from the outside temp (though of course without any windchill as it is very well sealed and insulated, so that's something at least). I really don't want to use a heat lamp until it drops below -20 or so. So today I spread out the bale of hay that I've had inside the coop all over the floor. Hopefully this will help. I love love love the sand in the summer because it's so easy to clean and they dust bathe in it, but I think I'm going to have to put down hay or something less cold for winters. We'll see how it goes with the hay in there. At these temps it's not like the poop is going to compost or anything with the bedding, I think it freezes as soon as it leaves the hen!

We are experiencing negative temps here in North Dakota too. My coop is 16ftx16ftx16ft in height. I have my 56 chickens in there. We have a 5 tiered perch system that goes up the wall about 9 ft high and from there the chickens roost in the rafters or on the perches. I have the floor covered with a deep bedding of straw. I have lots of floor space for them to roam. Heating: 3 heat lamps. One above the perch, one above the watering bucket, and one off in a corner.
Ventilation: roof has a barn style roof vent which is 3 feet long.
I have one japanese bantam, Napoleon, who has frost bite which started pretty much when the negative degrees started. here in North Dakota, we frequently have negative degree wind chill so I keep the door closed and on days where it seems the temp outside will be over positive 10, i open their little hen door. I have several different breed types, single comb mostly, but he is the only one with frostbite so far. I tried using vaseline but that didn't work out so well. when the frost bite set in, i used a little bit of tea tree oil, then neosporin. the black parts are decreasing while the fleshy red is increasing.
Napoleon spends his days under the heat lamp and by the 'water cooler' now so I don't worry about him as much as I used too. the other hens have been milling from one place to another, the rafters, to the perches to the nest boxes to the heat lamp in the corner. I'm about to put in a dust bowl using the corner heat lamp to keep the 'dust/dirt/sand' dry. I hope that helped.

Do you like the straw as bedding?

When you say the black parts are decreasing, do you mean falling off or turning back to red? I thought black was dead... yellow could sometimes be repaired but black was just gone.

I agree that humidity aggravates and helps frostbite get a foot hold but I think cold cold also is not to be underestimated. -22 this AM for us (Wind chill not factored in). Well-ventilated coop. insulation in the roof only of my coop. My coop also has windows below the roosts for ventilation as well. I'll admit that I keep these windows closed. They are recycled paned sashes. My coop is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off center in it's construction so there's a crack here and there in the boards and where the windows meet their trim. My first winter with chickens my large combed Roo--a New Hampshire has had some black tips. We've done vaseline with little result. (I'm not impressed) It's just the cold to be sure. I've been dealing with this since November, I know it doesn't feel good but I know he'll recover from it as along as I keep good cleaning practices and keep it lubed up with antibiotic ointment and such to help soothe it.

Today I noticed, even though I kept the coop at -4 to 5 degrees inside today with a heat lamp that one of his front toes looked larger than the same one on the other foot. I brought him in the house and on further inspection, to my horror, I seen this toe was more whitish or paler yellow. Not "setting" right while he stood. I promptly made a shallow warm water soak in my laundry tub. Let him stand in there for 5-10 minutes. When I took him out I did take out the vaseline again (but mostly for massage purposes) and started massaging his pad on that foot and that particular toe along with the other toes on that foot for a good 10 to 15 minutes. Although still slightly more swollen than that of the other foot it did seem to come around and he was able to curl it around my finger strongly. I debated to keep him in the house tonight. But he went to the sliding glass door, as he'd had enough of me and looked out longingly at the coop. I placed him up on his 2x4 roost next to the heat lamp and his BFF hen, Sunny--stress kept to a minimum.
smile.png
I have my fingers crossed. Plan is to deepen the litter on my coop floor some more. I've got about 3 1/2 inches of pine shavings. But I think there's some nasty cold frost that harbors in it, despite me turning it once in a while.

Aww sorry about your Roos toe! I've been lucky that so far even with the cold substrate (sand) their toes have all been in good shape!

So glad I found this thread. I was reading others from 'southerners' and I don't worry about 20 degree weather, unless, there is a minus included. My RI white developed frostbite & I needed to bring him in to make sure he could eat. His waddles are SO swollen. I totally cleaned out the coop today making sure that any icy area (little around the waterer) was scraped up. I had the vents partially closed & the window has been closed. I have a 25W light under my waterer, which is in the coop (freezing is a problem). I don't know if I should do anything different.

Back
Top Bottom