Help with gender of my 22 week old chickens

DQ

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 11, 2008
Dawin, Australia
Can anyone help sex my chicken please? I have learnt so much from this forum but I am embarassed to admit that I still can’t tell what gender mine are.

They are at least 22 weeks, I have had them for 21 weeks and when I bought them they were starting to get wing feathers. At least one is laying as I have had 5 eggs so far. The first 4 eggs were smallish and dark and the 5th egg was larger and brown but paler. They may have been laying for longer than I know because they usually roam the yard from early morning until night. Lately we have been keeping them locked up until miday in the hopes of catching them laying.

We have (all named after trains by my son) :
Thomas- I feel she is female but I have a bit of doubt. I did catch he in the nesting box today with an egg but I didn’t see (or hear) her physically lay it
IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

Percy- There is something about her face and stance that makes me feel male. I’m sorry they aren’t great photos.
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

James- I’m not sure if she is my only female or if she is just a little less developed
IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

Thank you for any help.

1. Black sex-link.
2. Black Australorp (unless there's red I'm not seeing. If there's red...I change it to Black sex-link.)
3. Golden/Red sex-link
4. Black sex-link
5. Golden sex-link
6. Golden sex-link.

Given their age and the fact that none of them seem to have long pointed saddle feathers or long tail feathers, I would say all pullets. And they all look like sex links to me.

I say that you need to change all of their names. I think that you have all pullets there.

Thomas - Black Sex Link pullet
Perchy - Golden Sex Link pullet
James - Golden Sex Link Pullet

I have both of these breeds and they are great layers.

Dorothy

The Golden Comets, Percy & James, are great egg layers. The ones I ordered are guaranteed to lay up to 300+ eggs a year.
The Black Sex-Link, Thomas, is a good layer also. You have a great batch of birds there, or should I say pullets
wink.png

Do you ever hear them singing? if so that means they have just laid an egg and they want everyone to come and see.

The first time I heard mine singing, I ran to the coop thinking something was in there after them.
lau.gif

Quote:
Percy is indeed a MALE ...... ALL the rest are females ....

You need to have them in an enclosed coop & run so not only you can insure egg collection part LOL but also their safety . Put a top on your run area , so NO hawks or predators kill your flock .

Back
Top Bottom