Help with getting 20 or so peafow lto leave an area and stay away

Rick Tolbert

Hatching
Dec 6, 2015
Hi Everyone:

I have a nuisance wildlife control company here in California and I have been asked to get 20 or so peafowl from two homes where they are creating a problem. Can anyone tell me how to keep these birds out of the area in a safe and humane way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rick

@Rick Tolbert Thank you for taking the trouble to come and ask about this!

Wondering, where are these problem birds? I'm guessing that the only certain and humane way to get these birds out of the area would be to catch them and find them new homes. It may be that someone here lives in the area and can give you better advice about where they could be rehomed...

X2. Fishing nets (the really big ones) would be safe unless someone can sedate them. Also if these are free range peafowl it's going to be difficult catching them in my opinion since they can fly and very strong fliers.

It will take time you can setup 10 by 10 dog kennels with netting on top and a 50 foot rope tiesd t the gate , place feed in them and leave them alone, once you see them going in and out without being cautious go out and stand back at the end of that 50 foot rope wait for them to go inside and pull the gate closed with the rope, try to catch as many as you can in the pen at one time, peafowl are smart and cautious so it may take a few days before the left overs go in again ;) good luck

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The trouble I have is I don't know of anyone who is interested in taking the birds off my hands if I were able to trap them.I hear that they are not easy to handle when I take them out of a trap.I want to use a product called Bird Stop from a company called Bird X. This is supposed to smell bad to birds and make the plants they eat taste bad.It then makes them leave an area because they find it unpleasant. I've read good and bad reviews for the product so I'm hesitant to buy it.Has anyone heard of this product or something like it? Thanks Rick

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The trouble I have is I don't know of anyone who is interested in taking the birds off my hands if I were able to trap them.I hear that they are not easy to handle when I take them out of a trap.I want to use a product called Bird Stop from a company called Bird X. This is supposed to smell bad to birds and make the plants they eat taste bad.It then makes them leave an area because they find it unpleasant. I've read good and bad reviews for the product so I'm hesitant to buy it.Has anyone heard of this product or something like it? Thanks Rick
you would need a ton of that stuff for it to work IMO besides what about the other natural wildlife. how often does it have to be re applied?

I believe that I need to reapply it maybe a week or so after the initial application, but of course if it rains or they water the grass that may change. Rick

Peafowl eat all kinds of plants. They will eat grass and will even eat certain types of tree leaves. It would be basically impossible and very expensive to coat all the plants. They also eat bugs so plants are not their only food source.

Is there a local zoo that would take the peafowl?

I don't know where in California you are, but I have a peafowl breeder directory I am looking at right now and there are 15 breeders listed for California:

Valley Springs, Atascadero, Mountain Ranch, Comptche, Corona, Live Oak, Los Banos, Pomona, Norco, 29 Palms, Shingle Springs, Buellton, Norwalk, Covelo, and Sun Valley.

If any of those cities are near you I can give you their phone # and/or email in a private message and hopefully they would be willing to take the peafowl.

Back
Top Bottom