Help with goat injury on shoulder

Sorry...I didn't realize that this thread was still active!

Thanks for all the replies...we haven't had a chance to test for CL yet or really do anything. The whole family has been battling one illness after another and then we had to put our dog down, so the last couple of weeks have been pretty unproductive
smile.png

Anyways, Rocky actually stopped limping about a 1.5 weeks ago and it looks like the swelling has gone done. He didn't lose any hair on it, so I don't think it is a ruptured CL cyst, but then again, I'm not really sure. He had issues limping right after we first got him, and then seemed to "heal". Its like that all over again. I'm wondering if it is possible that maybe because he injured it when he was so young, that it will be a recurring issue.

I don't know. I'm still going to try to do the CL testing, just still trying to get back up on our feet from the last couple of weeks.

Thanks for checking up on him!

Washington State University is one of the preferred labs for CAE & CL testing. You can send or take them a red-top tube and it's 15 or 20$ to test for CL. It sure looks/sounds like CL but if you can prove it's not he'd be more likely to get adopted. I'd isolate him and contact the above poster for I&D instructions. The sister site on goats probably has info on how to draw blood for the lab, if not, PavLab has a link to a young girl showing how it's done.
Meanwhile google CL.
Good luck!

Last edited:
My family just put down our beloved 9 year old dog 2 weeks ago. Overnight she came down with something that was causing liver problems...she was jaundiced and doing verry badly. Taking her to the vet, I was told that it would be about $300+ just to do the blood testing to maybe find out what it was. That didn't guarantee they could find anything or that we could afford to fix it when it was discovered. So we made the painful, hard decision to put her down. I loved my dog dearly.

I was told roughly the same price for taking Rocky to the vet. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the receptionist trying to figure out what my options were and it was sounding like after spending the $250-$350 for an appointment to diagnose it could easily be a lot more too fix.

I understand that everybody has different limits of what they will spend on an animal. That is beyond what my family can afford right now. Which is why I brought it to the forum, in hopes that someone could possible help me. I do not want to see an animal suffer and I can put him down if that is the best option.

As far as purchasing an incubator...I am raising Coturnix with the intention of having eggs and meat to feed my family. They are not pets...although I do enjoy them, the incubator was a decision to be able to raise my own food at home that I thought would pay for itself and save me money in the long run and still be able to provide healthy food for my family.

Maybe in the future if you are questions or concerns about a decision I have made, you could privately address me about it. I don't mind explaining myself, but would prefer to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I have the link to labs that another posted sent me and I am going to try to as soon as I am completely back up on my feet.

Thanks!

Quote:
I was feeling for you and for Rocky until I read your post from last week - one week after having to put your dog down (a sad event for sure).

Yeah...no way I can keep it a secret [getting quail] but I am feeling a bit guilty between this splurge, the incubator I'm trying to get and the 2 dozen silkie eggs I'm waiting on
smile.png

I've become obsessed!

I would feel guilty too if I was choosing to spend money on other things rather than on a pet and/or livestock I was already responsible for.

I think it's important for folks you're asking for help and/or advice from that it doesn't appear that it is important for you to get help for your goat.

I have hopes for Rocky's sake, you do get him some help.

Last edited:
~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Quote:
I was feeling for you and for Rocky until I read your post from last week - one week after having to put your dog down (a sad event for sure).

Yeah...no way I can keep it a secret [getting quail] but I am feeling a bit guilty between this splurge, the incubator I'm trying to get and the 2 dozen silkie eggs I'm waiting on
smile.png

I've become obsessed!

I would feel guilty too if I was choosing to spend money on other things rather than on a pet and/or livestock I was already responsible for.

I think it's important for folks you're asking for help and/or advice from that it doesn't appear that it is important for you to get help for your goat.

I have hopes for Rocky's sake, you do get him some help.

I'm sorry if I have offended anybody in thinking that I am not trying to help him out and if you feel like I have wasted your time. I promise that was not my intention. I truly do appreciate all the help/advice that I have received on this forum. I owe the life of one of my chickens to some awesome advice that I received on here.

It would be impossible for me to try to sum up my entire life situation in a few pages on a forum and I wouldn't begin to try. But oftentimes there is just much more to a story than what can be conveyed over the internet.

Was my decision to purchase an incubator practical? I don't know. I guess I won't find out for a few months when I can see if raising my own quail and hopefully being able to sell some silkies that I have bred to earn a bit more income for the family to take some pressure off my husband that is working way too much to try to support the family. It may be a terrible idea and not pan out at all. Trying to be creative in some ways to help earn money when I am at home with 3 little ones. Regardless, it is done now and too late to change it.

I have really enjoyed BYC as a place to gain information and just a place to hang out and unwind from a crazy day and read everyone's great stories. Thank you all so much for sharing and the fun it has been reading it all.

Sorry for such a lengthy farewell reply, trying to explain just a little bit, becuase I hate feeling like I'm the bad guy. I guess I am just a bit too sensitive for a forum and it is hard for me to feel like people think so badly of me.

You guys have been great...Thanks for everything.​

I know this is a really old post but it appears we have a similiar issue with one of our young bucklings (of course the sweetest one), just wondering what ended up happening.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom