Help with Gosling & Parents

Goosebumps

Songster
12 Years
Jun 5, 2011
What the best age to separate goslings from Mom & Dads? The goslings are 3 wks old now and I dont want to separate them before Mom (and Dads) have taught them all they need to know.
Im having severe anxieties about separating parents from goslings. Ive considered allowing the person who is re-homing all the goslings to take the parents as well which she has agreed to do but I dont want to be left gooseless. I love my geese but I cant bear the thought of separating the little ones from their parents. Am I being silly about separating them

? Ive always heard how family oriented they are and Ive witnessed amazing things over the last few years watching them. This is my first hatching however so Im not sure how to proceed. I know my one acre isnt big enough to handle 12 geese and my neighbors on both sides are terrified of them. Any advice or help would be grearly appreciated.

No dont seperate them when they are that young ! Wait atleast three months because the mother only has the babies now! And they would be would be worried and alert! But offcourse you can seperate them but i think they are too young to be taken from mama and papa wait atleast 2 months

What the best age to separate goslings from Mom & Dads? The goslings are 3 wks old now and I dont want to separate them before Mom (and Dads) have taught them all they need to know.
Im having severe anxieties about separating parents from goslings. Ive considered allowing the person who is re-homing all the goslings to take the parents as well which she has agreed to do but I dont want to be left gooseless. I love my geese but I cant bear the thought of separating the little ones from their parents. Am I being silly about separating them
? Ive always heard how family oriented they are and Ive witnessed amazing things over the last few years watching them. This is my first hatching however so Im not sure how to proceed. I know my one acre isnt big enough to handle 12 geese and my neighbors on both sides are terrified of them. Any advice or help would be grearly appreciated.
Mine are 8 months old and still with their parents. There really is no rush. Enjoy them. If the person really wants them, they´ll wait. Or, at 3 months, like serv said, they can better cope to be separated, but they still won´t like it. They´ll naturally stay together until just before breeding season starts again. And I reckon an acre is fine for a dozen geese if you´re supplementing their food.
big_smile.png

Yep like brazil said the parent geese dont care about the babies anymore until next breeding season which is 10 months later

What a precious picture.

I have to agree with what everyone else said, leave the goslings with the parents as long as possible. They will be well adjusted and confident and amazingly healthy. I am continually amazed at how attentive goose parents are (to the point that I'm considering trying some bizarre switcheroo this year to make the geese raise some of my other waterfowl). (and actually it's not just goose parents, I've found once everyone's hatched the entire goose flock watches out for the kids)

Also agree, that picture is utterly adorable.

My goslings are now 8 months, and today I separated some of them for selling on. They´re in a run right next to their parents and other siblings that I´ll keep, but they don´t much like the separation, although the parents birds have just started to push them away a bit. At least being right in the next pen helps a bit. and that´s at 8 months old. Some of the parents with some of the goslings at 7 months of age...which is which??

i have a pair a geese that once had one baby only and they loved that baby till it was 11 months old! So geese love their young and will had to loose them when they are very very young

Back
Top Bottom