Help with Goslings that are dying!

hvnsnt338

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
We purchased 6 goslings today and have already lost 1. 2 others have also gone threw what the one we lost went through, but we put those under a heat lamp and hair dryer and was able to bring them back before it was too late. Can anyone give me some information about what may be going on with these guys? I have had goslings before with NO problems and I just cant imagine what is going wrong.

All the information I can provide would be that they appear to be less than a week old, the appear to be brown chinese and that the 3 that have been affected seem to have done so after having water. They start by becoming extremely wabbly, backing over themselves and then their heads start to become extremely unsteady and start swaying back and forth and side to side. It is very distinctive when this behavior begins. At once we take them and start warming them. They do have a heat lamp and I have removed water from them. Of course, I know they cannot go without water but it seems they are either chilling from it or getting wet when they are drinking it. The last one that did this did not feel wet at all.

Please help if there is anybody out there that can shed some light on this and help us keep from losing any more of them.

Thanks
Sandi

That`s a stumper, Sandi. Do you suppose there might be something in the water? Maybe soap dried on the waterer? Try some fresh water in another waterer. They aren`t getting IN the water are they? Bator hatched waterfowl lack the natural oils from their mom and should not be allowed to swim in water too deep to stand in. Grasping at straws here. Hope you can stop the carnage........Pop

Water is clean! I called the feed store and told the man what had happened and he told me not to put water in with them because if they get wet they can get cold and die. It seems true because as soon as any of the others started to do it, it was after they had been drinking water, not bathing in it though. I removed the water and a few minutes later one more started "convulsing". Immediately took it out and started warming it with a hair dryer on low setting. Now I'm scared to water them.

I can only suggest that when you do give them moisture, give it in the form of a high-protein baby cereal via syringe - 1cc insulin syringes keep the amount small. I recommend some sugar or honey in it, too, to give them a little energy to cope with their illness and their growth needs. And a skoche (sp) of vegetable oil for increased calories.

If you can keep them in a dog crate in your house where you can watch them and tend to them when their condition requires, you will feel better and will know that they are all uniformly warm.

This sounds like a vitamin or mineral deficiency (I'm only an amateur, remember), so perhaps a pet bird vitamin/mineral solution added to the baby cereal will help.

Common-sense nursing seems the way to go when you don't know what else to do... clean habitat, warmth, moisture, nutrients. And a little prayer never hurt anything!

Quote:
Yes, they do have access to the heat lamp at all times. It is set up so that they are able to get under it when needed and also an area for them to get away if they get too hot.

This is really getting me bothered! I am scared to give them water. Would warming the water possibly help until I can get out to pick up vita sol to supplement vitamins and minerals?

When the goslings are without water for a length of time and then are given lots of water this happens. I do not know why, but it does.

Water needs to be given in very small quanities at a time untill they get rehydrated. Give them a few swallows, take a break, then some more, etc.

Water for goslings is a struggle. They do have to have it of course, but they do get wet and chilled very easy. They also have to have water that is deep enough to get all of their bills into it so they can clean out their nostrils.

Others may have suggestions for waterers for goslings, but the main thing is to keep them from playing in it (if they are in a brooder), keep them and their bedding dry, and make sure they can not fall into it and not be able to get back out.

They need to be fully feathered before they can stay warm while swimming. Baby down gets water logged and has no protection for them when in water. If the goose is raising them, some of her oils rub off onto them to give them some protection. Plus they can run back under her if they get cold.

I hope your babies are ok.

Wow, CD, I had no idea goslings were like that. It`s been years since I raised goslings without a mother. Sounds like the solution to the problem. Thanks for chiming in and teaching an old dog a new trick. Hopefully Sandi can get her situation under control now.........Pop

Back
Top Bottom