Help with Goslings that are dying!

I appreciate the help! I am giving them a few drinks at a time about every 10 minutes apart. These seems to be helping. When will I know that they are rehydrated? Should I just do this for the next day or so?

I am no expert on this by no means. I just had an unwanted crash course on the subject last winter when I had a 'very' good hatch of goslings. I have been trying to find out more information about why it happens and have seen some posts on the subject so I know it was not just my situation.

So, that being said, I would think that if they are doing ok with small amounts of water now, you could go ahead and let em at it.
smile.png
Watch to make sure they do ok with their first fill up, but from my experience, once they were past the first reaction, they were then ok. It seems to be the reaction of the first bit of water on their dry system.

This makes me wonder how goslings are successfully shipped and are without water for the shipping time.

Oh yes, is there anything cuter than new goslings?

Update>>>>>

Everything seems fine with the small amounts of water given. I am still scared to let em at it. But I think I will go one just today with watering every 15 minutes and let em at it tomorrow.

Again, Thank you all for helping me get past this delicate situation!!!!!!

Thanks, Sandi

PS No there is nothing cuter than baby goslings looking up at you like, "are you my mother" LOL

I am assuming that since you haven't posted to this again, everything turned out fine. I have a batch that is doing EXACTLY what you described. Except 1) they did fine for a week then all started dropping like flies over the past day and 2) they aren't responding to the heat and it doesn't matter that I took the water away. If you had any more information cross your path, please let me know.

Quote:
This is SUCH good advice. This happens to goslings and ducklings as well. You do literally have to let them all have a sip, then take the water up. Wait a minute. 2 sips - take it up, 3 sips. It even happens with warm water.

I've had them topple and die like this and it's just heartbreaking. One time I tried to sling the excess water out of one of them gently (more gently than newly birthed puppies with their mucus) and it worked. BUt HIGHTLY NOT recommended.

The best method is exactly as Chickies Duckies said.

Any time you come across a reader new to ducklings and goslings, please tell them this so they'll know, too. This happened to me and no one had experienced it or knew anything. Honestly Chickies Duckies is the first I've met that has.

They play so much in their water that they'll run out easily. So you really have t6o watch them and then, if it happens anyway, do as Chickies Duckies said. It does work.

Quote:
Welcome to the paranoia! I still feel that dread whenever I start babies and am raising them,hoping I don't find their water tumped over.

Back
Top Bottom