Help with guinea housing

Fcarter

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2017
This is my first attempt raising guineas. I have 2 questions:
1) can someone please show me a picture or tell me of a very simple guinea house. Now that we have moved our little group to a larger house they refuse to go in. We fixed up an old coop by removing the front panel. The opening is approximately 2.5 ft wide and 2 ft tall. Will hold 12 chickens. It sits on the ground so easy access. We put a bit of hay in it. They refuse to go in. Not even for their favorite snack. Last night in the pouring rain we attached a tarp to the fencing and they stood under that. What have I done wrong? The house is inside their 10 x 10 fenced area which they gladly march into.
2) How far do I reduce their food since they free range all day? We put out the same amount as always but they hardly eat any of it.

Thanks so much.

This is my first attempt raising guineas. I have 2 questions:
1) can someone please show me a picture or tell me of a very simple guinea house. Now that we have moved our little group to a larger house they refuse to go in. We fixed up an old coop by removing the front panel. The opening is approximately 2.5 ft wide and 2 ft tall. Will hold 12 chickens. It sits on the ground so easy access. We put a bit of hay in it. They refuse to go in. Not even for their favorite snack. Last night in the pouring rain we attached a tarp to the fencing and they stood under that. What have I done wrong? The house is inside their 10 x 10 fenced area which they gladly march into.
2) How far do I reduce their food since they free range all day? We put out the same amount as always but they hardly eat any of it.

Thanks so much.
Hi Fcarter, I’m attaching pics of our cattle panel hoop coop that our guineas use. I believe it’s a relatively inexpensive coop and tall enough if set up on more cattle panels.

As for you reluctant guineas, part of the problem is that guineas are scared of anything new, and part may be that your new house is too dark. Can you lock them in the run for a few days with access to the house? Can you add lights to the house so they can see what’s inside? Forced proximity and light might help them to accept their new house. Is that house temporary or meant to be permanent for them?

Attachments

• 8B68780E-C09E-4115-8509-B043F6BE1760.jpeg
    8B68780E-C09E-4115-8509-B043F6BE1760.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 20262EAA-1CD7-4D23-AE83-9ACAD0F2983A.jpeg
    20262EAA-1CD7-4D23-AE83-9ACAD0F2983A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 965B6AE1-0B79-4537-9772-FAE7ACF244B3.jpeg
    965B6AE1-0B79-4537-9772-FAE7ACF244B3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • F5DADCAD-409B-49E5-94A2-47C4C537BDCF.jpeg
    F5DADCAD-409B-49E5-94A2-47C4C537BDCF.jpeg
    877.3 KB · Views: 18
Wonderful housing! Yes, this house is intended to be permanent
Hi Fcarter, I’m attaching pics of our cattle panel hoop coop that our guineas use. I believe it’s a relatively inexpensive coop and tall enough if set up on more cattle panels.

As for you reluctant guineas, part of the problem is that guineas are scared of anything new, and part may be that your new house is too dark. Can you lock them in the run for a few days with access to the house? Can you add lights to the house so they can see what’s inside? Forced proximity and light might help them to accept their new house. Is that house temporary or meant to be permanent for them?

Agreed re lighting. I have solar lightbulbs to light the front of the truck and inside. It sounds like you basically have a box on the ground w/ a permanent opening? What protects them from digging, climbing,flying, slithering predators?

The house is inside a 10 x 10 fence surrounded by hardwire. The top is covered by netting and a solid top over that. There is also strips of predator tape on each corner. We have also packed 4 inches of dirt from the ground up along each side of the fence to show any signs of digging

The house is inside a 10 x 10 fence surrounded by hardwire. The top is covered by netting and a solid top over that. There is also strips of predator tape on each corner. We have also packed 4 inches of dirt from the ground up along each side of the fence to show any signs of digging
Cool. Guineas are night blind, so if the inside is dark, they won't go in. The solar lights don't stay on all night, which is good, but will stay on long enough for them to get settled. You can also get batt operated stick ups w/remote controls, but you'll run a small fortune on batteries.

I need a quick built guinea house and I like your idea of the cattle panels. But, I don't see any roosts. How high is the center of the round top and do you have roosts in it? I am new to Guineas and hope to get 10 within 2 weeks. The seller is holding them for me as I have to construct a coop. I have read extensively on this site and absorbed a lot of information. Is there a prebuilt coop that I can buy that will hold 10 guinea and have the higher roosts for them? I am really excited for this new adventure but want to start out with the right housing for them.

I need a quick built guinea house and I like your idea of the cattle panels. But, I don't see any roosts. How high is the center of the round top and do you have roosts in it? I am new to Guineas and hope to get 10 within 2 weeks. The seller is holding them for me as I have to construct a coop. I have read extensively on this site and absorbed a lot of information. Is there a prebuilt coop that I can buy that will hold 10 guinea and have the higher roosts for them? I am really excited for this new adventure but want to start out with the right housing for them.
Hi Trailhiker, yes, there are roosts. There’s lots of information about building the coop at the link below. Victoria-nola started the thread and I added our coop to it later. I didn’t want to work so high up, so our coop is about 8 ft tall and roosts are about 6 ft tall. That seems ok to our guineas, amd I can reach high enough to grab one if need be. I’ve attached a few roost pics, but the thread below has lots more information. Let me know if you have any questions - I’m happy to help!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/modified-hoop-coop-design-development.1120946/

Attachments

• 5AD48091-F654-46DE-8309-DDFC750C4BAC.jpeg
    5AD48091-F654-46DE-8309-DDFC750C4BAC.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 14
  • 9DF5D6C4-41DF-4091-A190-C39E7B156A74.jpeg
    9DF5D6C4-41DF-4091-A190-C39E7B156A74.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 31BB383B-9EC0-4A1A-B39A-B56DAFAA1110.jpeg
    31BB383B-9EC0-4A1A-B39A-B56DAFAA1110.jpeg
    467.7 KB · Views: 15
Hi Trailhiker, yes, there are roosts. There’s lots of information about building the coop at the link below. Victoria-nola started the thread and I added our coop to it later. I didn’t want to work so high up, so our coop is about 8 ft tall and roosts are about 6 ft tall. That seems ok to our guineas, amd I can reach high enough to grab one if need be. I’ve attached a few roost pics, but the thread below has lots more information. Let me know if you have any questions - I’m happy to help!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/modified-hoop-coop-design-development.1120946/
Thank you for your response. I went to the link you posted and have good ideas from that. I see in your pictures that you have a long shelf that they can roost on. I didn't know they would roost together like that and thought I had to have individual roosts. Your method makes it simpler. If I need 2' for each guinea and I had 10 guineas I might need 2 separate shelves. Would they be comfortable with that or do they like to cuddle and roost together? Will a rooster roost with the hens? I drew up plans for a constructed coop but don't have time for that as the seller is holding them for me. We just moved and I want to get started with the guineas right away. So, it will be awhile before I can get my designed coop built. But, maybe I won't need to worry about that right away if I use your plan.

Back
Top Bottom