Guinea House Location?

farmland1

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2023
central NJ
Hello,
Any advice on where to put a guinea house on our property? Are the guineas likely to stay located near the house? Do they hang out in the trees? We have hawks/owls. Is it best to locate the guinea house away from trees/house/barn where hawks could perch nearby waiting for opportunity for a surprise attack. Should the guinea house be located near the chicken coop? Will the guinea house attract rats?

Our hope is the guineas will control the ticks on our property, particularly around the house and barn where our kids spend the majority of time.

We have electrical located at the house, barn, garage, and along the drive way,

Only water sources are located along the house or barn. I'm probably gonna need a 100-200 ft hose.

Last edited:
Are you planning on letting them free-range?
Yes, but I've been told that I need to take several months to train them before doing so. I was told to keep them in their new home for a few days. Then to let 2 out and put them back in at night. Then let out a different 2 the following day, etc, and slowly work up to letting all 8 out at once. My hope is that they will free range all day and come home to their house at night.

I planned on giving them their own house and outdoor run during that training process.

You'll want to keep them in a coop / run for 4 to 6 weeks to train them that it's "home". Even then you may have to herd them in at night for a few weeks to get them used to the idea they're supposed to sleep "inside."

Guineas will hang out wherever they can find food, water, and places to hide from predators. If they don't associate those things with your property they will wander off.

I don't know about ticks specifically but guineas are enthusiastic foragers and between them and the chickens they've done a good job of decimating the local insects around my house.

Guineas are pretty hawk savvy once they're fully grown. Mine give the local birds of prey fits as they're rather paranoid and prone to displays of aggression when threatened by birds of prey. They hawks don't seem to like it when the whole flock dives for cover except for the four to six birds that march at the hawk's perch in formation, screaming their heads off.

I'd put the coop somewhere that's convenient for you or near where you want them to forage. The guinea house is only going to attract rats if you leave feed or eggs in it overnight.

Back
Top Bottom