Help with gurgle sounds

TheFlatLander

Hatching
Nov 1, 2015
Jacksonville, FL
Hi all. I have a small flock consisting of 5 hens and 1 rooster. One of my hens has had gurgle sounds the past 3 weeks. She eats and drinks well, is active, has no discharge from the nostrils and her eyes are clear.

I've treated with injectable Tylan 50 in the breast for 5 days at .5 cc for 2 days and then increased dosage to 1 cc for 3 days. I saw no improvement. (I did miss one day at day 3 due to weather).

I next tried VetRx for 2 days and the gurgles improved but returned a day later. I gave the VetRx orally and on her head / under wings.

Should I continue the VetRx or start the Tylan again? Should I try anything else? All other birds seem fine. I've had my birds for 6 months and they've never been wormed since I haven't seen any signs and they regularly get ACV in their water while free ranging.

Thanks for any suggestions.

It's most like a respiratory illness which antibiotics will generally not help (antibiotics will help with any secondary infections caused by illness like nasal/eye infections, etc.),

Provide her with some poultry vitamins in her water. I personally would not retreat with antibiotics since they were not effective, the VetRx would be ok, especially if it seemed to help.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

It's most like a respiratory illness which antibiotics will generally not help (antibiotics will help with any secondary infections caused by illness like nasal/eye infections, etc.),

Provide her with some poultry vitamins in her water. I personally would not retreat with antibiotics since they were not effective, the VetRx would be ok, especially if it seemed to help.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Thanks. I'll give it a try and report back!

Well I followed up with poultry vitamins and the gurgles went away for 3 days. Then yesterday they returned so I gave her VetRx. Today she is worse but eating, running around and has no outward sign of illness. Just gurgles. It's been very hot and 9 acres next to me have been under a control burn for the past several days so it's pretty smokey. Any suggestions other than a run to the vet?

If you can take her to a vet that may be your best bet.
The hot weather and controlled burn, I'm sure is not helping.
Just a thought, any way you can run a fan to help circulate air, hopefully keeping the smoke away/moving in the opposite direction?

Try to push fluids/keep them hydrated (I know you are
smile.png
), other than that I just don't know.

Back
Top Bottom