1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Help!! with hatching egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Harleys-n-Goats, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Harleys-n-Goats

Harleys-n-Goats New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    Perry, Fl
    I need some advice, I have an egg hatching, it had pecked out just enough shell to crack it and he could be heard chirping inside the shell. It was early this morning and about 10 hrs later I decided to help it out by opening the shell some, I was afraid that he might die with lack of oxygen, it is just sitting inside and is not even trying to peck out, should I try to open it on up? I havent had this happen before, any suggestions?

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN. If it was the last egg left to hatch Id help it out, but if you still have other eggs that havent hatched Id just wait it out. I dont open my bator during hatches. They can take a very long tim to hatch after they pip. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  3. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    My first hatch was this morning so I'm really, really, relaly new, but mine chirped, made a tiny crack, rested quietly for ages and emerged 24 hrs after first chirp, 20 hours after first pip. My understanding is if the shell has any crack or chip at all, it's getting oxygen. Again, though, I am really, really, really new to this.

4. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

A chick that can not get out on it's own, probably would never develop into a healthy chicken. My best advice is to not intervene and patiently wait for nature to run it's course.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by