Help with hatching problems

Mz Luv

In the Brooder
May 25, 2022
I raise ringneck doves. Even though they are different in some ways than chickens i still think someone here can help me. I have a pair that are first time parents. They had 2 eggs that went a day over the due date to hatch. I looked last night under the hen and saw that both eggs had a small hole with the chicks beak out breathing! So i left them until morning. I noticed the hen wasnt moistening the chicks skin to help them come out of the shell...which all the others hens do. I thought maybe because this was her first time she was inexperienced. So i checked the eggs and both chicks hadnt made any progress..they were still breathing with only their beak out. I also notice they looked dry. I took each egg out and carefully removed the shell little piece at a time...no blood...no yolk...no.moisture...the shell came off easily. Both chicks were moving around but one had a hard time straightening out. Put them back under mom and in 2 hours they were dead. This was heartbreaking. I didnt want to try and get the chicks out too early but after 12 hours without any progress i knew i had to do something. Even the membrane was dry...What was the problem?...is there anything i could have done to save these chicks? Never had this happen before. Thank you

As first time parents, the eggs may have been on the small side resulting in weak young. Hopefully the next round will be more successful.

You know what...youre right...they were small. I found out from the article in the reply above that they died of dehydration. I didnt give them a drop of water when their beaks were sticking out because i was concerned id drown them. Oh i wish i knew yesterday what i know today!!

As first time parents, the eggs may have been on the small side resulting in weak young. Hopefully the next round will be more successful.
This is the article i was refering to...
https://www.melbournebirdvet.com/dead-in-shell-youngsters/

Here is an excerpt that describes exactly what happened to me...
The usual problem, is however, too high a temperature, or too low a humidity. This combination causes the shell and shell membrane to become hard and dry. This can lead to even a healthy chick becoming exhausted. In addition to this, the chick quickly becomes dehydrated. I am sure many of you, myself included, have helped these chicks hatch only to find them dead later. These chicks die because they are dehydrated. Such chicks if given small drops of water will often suck them down greedily and survive. These dehydrated chicks are called sticky chicks because of the way they stick to the dry shell membranes. They are often found dead after hatching ¼ to1/2 the way. If removed from the shell they often have unabsorbed yolk sacs and there is often dry, gluggy albumen still in the egg.

When i didnt see mom wetting the chicks skin when it was trying to get out i knew something eas wrong.

Back
Top Bottom