Help with Hatching Wild Turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Rocky Top Chick, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    I was given 8 wild turkey eggs to hatch, but have no idea how old they are. The shells are completely full with a little bit of space. we have been turning them but now I wonder if they should be in lock down. Any help will be appreciated. I am only hatching them, not keeping.

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I just hatched 9 today that I've been incubating for 2 weeks.

If you are using a high powered light and can't see much space, listen to them - hold 'em up to your ear and tap on the eggs to illicit a response ... mine started pecking back - and you could feel 'em trying to wiggle in your hand inside the egg. I would go ahead and raise up your humidity, but I would still turn just a tad 2x a day (like roll 'em barely, or even just rock the egg a bit like the hen would) and just keep a really close eye on the eggs... good advice was given to me - lay them on their side leave them for 10 hours and then candle while dark in bator - where the bottom of the aircell is on top. keep an eye out near that area when you peek in, they'll pip near there. when you see your first pip - get your humidity up to 65+% and just leave them be for then on. I did exactly this and 9/10 (#10 quit on me late in the incubation) of my wild easterns hatched today. and I will warn you, these buggers hatch FAST - first pip was yesterday afternoon - by 5 am all were pipped - between 7 am and 2 pm every one of my eggs had hatched. [​IMG]

3. Rocky Top Chick

Rocky Top Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thank you so much for your advice. We will see how it goes.

4. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

let us know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by