Help with hatching!!

dodo84

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 15, 2013
Green Co Wisconsin
So I had six emu eggs in my incubator started them cooking on 2/20/14 at 96.5 (did have some temp swings it got as hot as 97.8 and as low as 95.4) but not for more then a hour or two. Four of the six had nice strong wiggles, one had a small wiggle (I think) one with no wiggle at all. One egg piped AM of the 17th and was out late afternoon of the 18th, two more eggs piped internally late PM the 17Th they finished hatching Saturday. Lunch time, and around 9.00PM. Still nothing from the two dubious eggs, and one still wiggling (not as much as before) but not peeping. My question is when do I have to worry about those last three eggs? should I make a hole in the shell over the air cell so they can breathe? just sit tight? I don't want to lose these chicks!

Last edited:
after the internal pip has been made they can live off the air in the egg for 3 days max.
The one slowing down wiggling may be a bad sign, think it's time for you to make a small hole.

I made a hole in the egg that's been wiggling and was pretty sure it had died, the membrane was so deflated (like a shroud) around the chick. so went ahead and made the hole bigger now I can see that the chick is still breathing, but not trying to hatch. I haven't broken the inner membrane at all.
do chicks breath (sides moving up and down) before they pip?
What is the best course of action from here?

I made a hole in the egg that's been wiggling and was pretty sure it had died, the membrane was so deflated (like a shroud) around the chick. so went ahead and made the hole bigger now I can see that the chick is still breathing, but not trying to hatch. I haven't broken the inner membrane at all.
do chicks breath (sides moving up and down) before they pip?
What is the best course of action from here?

shrink wrapped, too low humidity. Just don't rush it, let it work on it's own.
You can peel back just a tiny tad of that membrane if your worried about air but prob. the main thing you want to do for now is
dampen that membrane with some warm clean water ( distilled if you have it ) often now , perhaps put a piece of gauze over the hole you' ve made and try and keep it damp ... will take tending to it frequently as the fan in the hatcher will dry it out fast & good idea to raise the humidity in the hatcher.
yes on the breathing if it's still alive :<)

Two are infertile, and #3 is resting comfortably in the hatch-er. I bumped humidity up to 60%. Sure hope the little guy makes it!
Thanks for replying I will keep you updated, and happy easter
bun.gif

Two are infertile, and #3 is resting comfortably in the hatch-er. I bumped humidity up to 60%. Sure hope the little guy makes it!
Thanks for replying I will keep you updated, and happy easter
bun.gif

ok, kind of what I figured on the other 2 but never know for sure.

Is that chick you're going to have to hover over for a while to come malpositioned ?

HOPPY Easter to you too . ( cute gif, love it ! )

Thanks but all kudos go to dodo84 for asking in the knick of time !
Have lot's of experience hatching ratite eggs but no longer incubate any eggs.
I do feel
the pain for those that are doing so now , it can be very trying at times, to say the least.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom