Help with hatchling deformity please!

Haleyasaurus

Hatching
5 Years
Dec 28, 2014
My chick just hatched, has been naturally incubated, pipped through his shell at lightning speed, seemingly very strong. However, as it started trying to walk I noticed he was having trouble and I checked on him and sure enough he is missing both of his outside toes on each of his feet, only nubs. Will he be able to walk like this?? Will he be able to survive?? Or do we need to let him go..
(Background info, our goose actually went broody and sat on some of our eggs however she crushed two so I pulled this one when it started pipping, and another that had just made it out of the shell and moved them to an incubator)

Depends if what caused the deformity is linked to other organs or other unseen traits. If it's just the toes, he should be fine, should learn to compensate and get along almost normally.

If something else is wrong he will probably start looking unwell sooner or later and I'd be quick to cull personally since it's not like the average person would want to breed on that deformity if it's heritable, so unlike an apparently normal chicken I wouldn't go to any great lengths to save it, especially if it's a male.

Also,
welcome-byc.gif

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom