Help with homemade bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by havi, Sep 7, 2009.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    I just made one of MissPrissy's homemade incubators and everything worked out fine. Well after I blew a fuse, everythign was alright. The problem Im having now is that the temps seem to be wild. How can I fix that? Its fine one minute(99.8) and then the next thing I know its up to 107. Whats going on? Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? I have a hovabator Im using as a bator, but I made this to use as a hatcher.

Can anyone help me?

2. S&SPoultryExchange

S&SPoultryExchange Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    You may need to add more air holes to stabilize it, not too much, I would try one little one at a time till you get it just right.

3. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I'm having the same problem with my homemator. I have vent holes all over the place. I plug 'em, unplug 'em, move the hole to somewhere else...
    Some nights when I come home from work, its 99.5
    Other nights it's 91 or 108 (the decimal point is moot at these temps)

I think the only answer is a thermostat. I bought one on monday, and I'm trying it out now. The most popular one here is a wafer model. I believe it is a metal coil that reacts to temperatures by getting bigger and smaller. It will make or break the electrical contact depending on it's position.

I bought a water heater thermostat, the only kind Menards had, and I just wired it, consulted with several ellectricians, and then stood on a rubbr mat and plugged it in wearing rubber gloves! I DID NOT DIE! [​IMG]

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I made one as well and I find that the key to constant temperatures is to add a heat sync to the bator. A mason jar filled with water and sealed will help to keep the temps from swinging.

5. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Heat sinks! [​IMG] Fill some small jars with sand, or put a brick or rock in the 'bator. That will reduce those drastic temperature variations.

~Cherlyn

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Moving the thermostat closer to the light will drop the temp swings.

7. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I had my fan blowing air over the light bulb onto the thermostat. But I had one thermostat that would swing 4 or 5 degrees. I have 2 that hold to a 1.5 degree swing so I use those in my bator and hatcher. Which are styrofoam Miss Prissy bators, the 3rd I don't use, as I can't rely on it.

But I do use heat syncs too. I actually filled freezer bags with water and then put those in another bag cause I didn't have any empty jars handy. I did have a couple big rocks from the yard that I set in there too but I was working with limited space so the bags-o-water fit my needs.

Good luck!

8. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:What are heat syncs? Ive never heard anything about them.

Quote:Thats where I have my thermostat at.

Quote:Doesnt heat rise? Putting a rock in the bator makes the temps steady? How does that work?

Quote:I dont know of any place around here that sells he wafer ones. Im kinda effy to use oneof those too. All the ones Ive seen take up a bunch of room and I dont hav all of that to spare.

9. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

When they say heat-sink they mean an object with thermal mass... Solids absorb an dissipate heat at a slower rate than air so it levels the temp out. Not sure the word heat-sink even fits but this website has gave it a new meaning.

Heres a little more about thermal mass in an incubator.

10. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Isn't the wonderful world of thermodynamics fantastic? gee, where's a sarcastic smiley when you need one?

There are actually formulas for sizing heat sinks based on medium, temp loss and air space.... hmmm... wonder if I still have that text book?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by