Help with how to figure materials needed

Bianca67

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Cedar Springs, MI
Have a drawing with dimensions drawn out but have never really built anything this large before. Is there a site somewhere that can help me figure out what I need for supplies (how many 2x4's, plywood etc)?
fl.gif

If you have dimensions you should be able to figure how much you'll need. It is really difficult, for me at least lol I always ask my dad to help me because he was a carpenter for a while. I looked online and all I can find is stuff on houses and laying bricks. I hope someone can help you!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Basically add up the surface area for the wall to figure how much sheathing (plywood I assume) you will need. Do the same with the number of studs, top/bottom plates, etc.

Can you take a picture of your plans and post them? Or the dimensions and how far apart you plan on putting the studs? Then at least people can ballpark it for you.

Keep in mind plywood comes in 4 x 8 sheets and 2 x 4's are 8 feet long.

Last edited:
I did not buy everything at once, seeing as i knew it was gong to take time, and i never did it before. I then just looked at other coops for ideas, in the end i made an elevated coop so they chicks would have shelter during rain, and a place to keep food and water out of the sun and weather. Then from there i did a 4X5 base and built up with 2x4 for the fram when i ran out i bought a few more. I didn't want to over spend. Only thing i would have changed would have been the egg box. Still need to add some more vents. The more square you keep things the easier it is

i did an a -frame roof so remembering side angle side came in handy for length. In the end all the tools i needed was a drill, skill saw, level, measuring tape, pencil, table saw, hammer

2x4 studs
4x8 plywood
4x4 posts
deck screws 2-3 boxes
hinges
2 boxes of shingles (1 was just short)
nails
had to purchase a real window $55 home depot
1x2 (for trim and to strength doors/hatches)

IMG_3908.JPG

IMG_3915.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom