Help with identifying this little girl please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TennesseeTruly, Aug 9, 2009.

1. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Songster

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I got this little girl from TSC about 19 weeks ago. When I got her, I thought she was another White Rock. Obviously she's not! She's tiny and probably a bantam of some sort.

I have all brown egg layers in my coop and the past two mornings I've gotten smallish white eggs. They have to be from her.

Here's her picture. We named her Opal. She's a sweet little thing!
    [​IMG]

Laurie

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Looks to be a game hen to me.

3. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    My guess: White Andalusian. Does that even exist"?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Do Sumatras come in white? I'm not sure what she is, but she sure has the body and tail type, at least to my untrained eye with the breed.

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    sumatras come in a plantium color idk if that is that white tho ive seen yokohama mixes that have looked like that but it could be a platium or a dun maybe sumatra!!

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Crowing

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Sumatras do come in white, but they're not that common.. Never seen a hatchery carry them. Yokohamas are yellow legged, plus she/he is a straight comb while sumatras/yokohamas carry peacombs.. At least in the US.

I would lean more towards this bird being a white phoenix.. And personally i think it is a cockerel due to size, and feather length (and it looks like it's starting to turn "pointy" too) at 5 months..

7. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I got one very similar in color from the TSC asst Bantam bin. Mine is 3 months old though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She has the same color legs as yours, slate gray/blue. At first she appears white, but has a blue tint to the feathers. Everyone guessed EE for mine. Wonder if its possible yours is a clean faced EE....or maybe a very light Self-Blue OEGB? I got one of those from the bin also...but shes a shade or two darker than yours. She carries herself the same way though, tail outstretched.

If that was a boy bantam, by 5 months it would have a super red comb and be crowing. Except for Silkies, every bantam roo I have had has been crowing by 2 months and you can tell gender before then.

I don't know if its just my comp or what, but it looks like it has a pea or rose comb?

ETA: Hmmm, Ideal doesn't seem to have anything that looks like either of our birds and Mt. Healthy (where I heard TSC gets some of their chicks) only shows a bantam assortment. They don't list what bantams they have.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  8. ve

ve Songster

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Comb looks single.I will say White Phoenix if you give me comb picture

9. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    It does look very similar to the pic Welp Hatchery has on their White Phoenix. They could have supplied the chicks to your TSC, I would think. And it does lay a small whitish egg.

White Phoenix Chicken
    Hen weight-approx. 4 lbs. Developed in Europe and US from a Japanese breed called the Onagador. Can be broody, protective mothers. Generally hardy. Requires high perches to accommodate tail. Generally docile, not especially friendly. White to tinted small egg.

10. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Looks like a white phoenix hen to me. The hens of the pheonix and other long tail breeds often look more rooster-ish than normal tailed breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: