Help with ill hen

You say when you feed them? does that mean they are usually on their own when it comes to eating?
I don't know if this is just me but I could not go a day without putting feed out for my flock. If you want healthy birds they need to have feed along with foraging. My flock forages on over a half acre and they still eat a good amount of feed. Plus any birds that are laying eggs need extra nutrients to keep laying and keep healthy. The food you feed is great for them.

We usually feed them about 2 times a day when they come home, but they love to hang out and forage at the lake and roam around. The other 3 ducks seem to be very healthy and look great. She just has a hard time :(

About the same. We have been giving her the antibiotics, but she is still limping. My daughter noticed mites on her when bathing her, so she is doing a 5 day cycle of the Pure Planet Poultry spray. Hopefully once she gets that under control, the wetfeather will get better. At least she seems in good spirits and doesn't mind hanging in the coop.

That's good she saw them and is treating her. The mites could be in the coop too so you might want to do a complete clean out and start fresh. Be sure to spray the coop top to bottom making sure to get in to all cracks and crevices. And haul the old bedding away. Or burn it.

Yep, did that too. Poor girl is a mess! Hoping the mites are what are causing the wetfeather and we can get that cleared up. She definitely is not waterproof now.. She may be getting another Dawn bath this week and go from there.

So a month later, the wet feather is looking a LOT better. The nasty wing feathers are gone and new growth is coming in. The foot on the other hand is not getting better. Going to perform "surgery" on the foot Tuesday and see if we find anything. Wish us luck!

Those Bumbles can sure be a pain, but hopefully once you open it up and get the infection out it will begin to heal.
Glad to hear her feathers are looking better.

Unfortunately, her foot is swelling up. It doesn't look like the typical bumble we have had in the past. Ideas?
2021-12-31_10-38-47_625.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom