Help with Incubator settings

Flybybirds

Songster
7 Years
May 28, 2013
Florida
I had to put some eggs in an incubator and want to know about settings. I am pretty sure that the temp should be 99.5 in my humidaire incubator. I am NOT sure about the humidity. It seems there are is dry humidity, wet bulb humidity, which I have, and relative humid. Confusing to me can someone just tell me what to set the humidity to on my wet bulb thermometer?

It depends on the humidity setting you want. If you want 50% RELATIVE humidity, the setting on a wet bulb would be 84degrees.

Last edited:
The humidaire instructions i just found said Temp 99.5 and wet bulb 80-82. Do you think that's right. They specify chickens. Exciting, we shall see. It looks like one of the eggs is a double. I hope not. What I have read on this site is that most do not survive. Also read people candle at 5-10-17 days. They can be taken out of the incubator to do this or left in? I have a stick candler but it has to be very dark to see anything.

I can't tell you what humidity to use. I would start with what the manufacturer recommends & adjust from there. You need to know what the air cell should look like at 10 to 15 days into the incubating process, but that takes experience. (We've all gone through it)

The 80-82 wet bulb temperature Humidaire recommends means 46% Relative Humidity. That IMO is a good place to start.

When candling, I always remove the eggs, one at a time, candle & replace them, but I've been doing this for 30 years & can tell within 5-10 seconds if an egg is fertile or not & if the air cell is the correct size (again, experience). The darker the egg shell color, the harder it is to see. It also helps if the room your candling in is dark. I wait until after it gets dark outside & turn off all the lights in the room. The light from the Candler is generally enough to see what your doing.

Found my manual and it recommends Wet Bulb 80-82 degrees for incubation and temperature at 99.5. The unit holds those settings perfectly.
Three days before hatching I take them to the bottom and raise the humidity. My problem now is that I have two separate hatch dates six eggs each. I will have to take the eggs due first out to a hatcher, which at the moment I do not have. I have a game incubator that I maybe could use. as a hatcher. Any other ideas. Couldn't be helped since the hen got off the eggs ten days early.

Back
Top Bottom