Help with Incubator!

ksmith

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Nor Cal
I know NOTHING about incubators and my neighbor just gave me her old used one. It was quite dusty, but i cleaned it up as best as I could. It came with no instructions or anything. Just the brooder itself. When I plug it in the red light comes on and I can feel the heat. It is a Little Giant Still Air Model: 5200 incubator.
I have quite a few Questions...

Is anything missing from the incubator?
Also, there are holes on top and on bottom. Are these supposed to be there? When I got the incubator they were plugged with toilet paper.
I know your supposed to have water in the incubator, where does this water go, and how much water?
How do i adjust the temperature to the correct temp?
What should the temperature be?

58536_dsc01417.jpg

58536_dsc01418.jpg

THANK YOU!

HI,
Looks just like my LG's
You need a thermometer and hydrometer
I bought mine in the reptile section at Petco.about $6.00 each.....
You can purchase an automatic turner, about $50.00 or hand turn your eggs about three times a day...
When you add water...it goes in the little wells toward the middle.....................
I fill the outside ones for the first 18 days..but that is where the hydrometer helps............
It will tell you if you need to add water or not.........
The holes are important.allows oxygen in.which the eggs really need.
My instructions said to leave one top hole open the first 18 days and both open during lockdown the last 3 days............
holes in the bottom the same.to allow oxegen flow.......................
I run my incubator for about 2 days before adding eggs..........
Get temp steady at 101................humidity 35 to 40 or so.......
There are lots of discussions about humidity......Folks run it diffferently for different reasons...........
Hope this helps some.
As you may already know.there is tons of information available on BYC if you are hatching for the first time.
Oh, one more thing........
The temp control is very touchy.If I need to change it.I just barely turn until the light goes off or on
depending on if I want it higher or lower.
Also there is a lot of bad mouthing LG's.but I do great with mine.have two..
Good Luck
smile.png

Quote:
Thank You SO much for your help! I won't be hatching until probably next year, but i want to learn about incubators as much as possible! thanks again
wink.png

I started with one it was really touchy I wasnt having much luck my daddy came in and heard his grandkids crying and went and ordered a big cabnet 15 dozen one bless his heart...that was 20 years ago and it is still going other than changing the wafers every 3 years I dont do anything to it....

put you a PC fan in it & a old raido knob on the adjustment controll & it will be a lot more stable & not as touchy on the adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom