Help with Jersey Giants

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lavacaw, Nov 27, 2010.

1. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I have three Jersey Giant hens and two roos that are nine months old. The hens started laying at about six months and have been laying steadily since. I have tried using each roo with them but so far have not seen any sign of a fertilized egg. I also have not seen the roos doing their job either. Is it possible they are still too young? I have some eggs in the bator to check for fertility but they are rather dark and it is hard to see anything definite. Help! Suggestions appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've never had JG's but have read that they mature slowly. Maybe they just need more time, especially wince you are not seeing them mating. Do they drow? Spurs? Combs red? Dance around the girls, guard food for them, etc? Wonder what would happen if you put them both with the girls for a while; maybe this would stir some hormones.

This will give you a bump anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2010
  3. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    I have 16 girls to 1 roo and he is a very busy boy.We call him Super Roo!It is a wonder your 2 roo do not fight. The ratio should be 8 girls to 1 roo min.If you do not have names for them yet may I suggest Rock (Short for Rock Hudson) and Liberochi. [​IMG] There is a JG thread on here with a few people that breed them. I would ask there.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  4. lavacaw

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    To clarify: both roos were with the hens but they started fighting as they got older. About two months ago, I separated one out to a smaller coop by himself. Three weeks ago, I exchanged roosters. My DGD named one Jerome and one Jesse. We have a tradition of rooster names starting with J;s.

5. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Maybe you should name one Jay after Tyra Banks friend. [​IMG] Once you swapped out roos the new roo should have gotten down to business. Maybe if you played some Barry White.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    They do mature very slowly, that's just probably it. Update us in a few months. [​IMG]

7. lavacaw

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    Major update! I candled at 1 week and saw nothing in the eggs in the bator. At 10 days I was sure they were a wash but DH said leave them alone and see what happened so I continued putting water in the well twice a week. With the display reading two days to go and still turning, I removed the eggs to a plate to pull the turner and top off both water wells. To my surprise there was a piece of eggshell on the turner. I checked the eggs and lo and behold there was a pip. That was 6 hours ago. I now have 4 pips and another one rocking. Needless to say, I am scrambling to get a brooder set up and warm because by tomorrow I should have baby chicks. I think I am gonna forget candling and just assume something will either hatch or explode. This is the second time I thought I would get nothing and was totally wrong!

Yay! Baby chicks on the way! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays

Congrats! [​IMG]

9. serena763

serena763 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    My two jersey giants are not laying yet and they are at 6 months...almost 7!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by