Help with juvenile chicks

Hooshie

Chirping
Jan 13, 2016
St. Louis County, MO
I have 2 ISA Browns, and 2 Black Australops all around 17 weeks. Theve been separated from my three older chickens but inside the coop since they were about 8 weeks. The problem is that the chicks are scared of my 2 hens (Black sex link and a Bard Plymouth Rock) and my roo (Ameraucana) and the chicks will not come out of the coop and into the run. My 2 hens and roo are around 39 weeks. When the chicks try to go out into the run, they will be chased down and pecked by all three older chickens.

This has been happening to the chicks since we stopped separating inside the coop at 12 weeks old.

They all sleep in the coop together peacefully but the 4 chicks still do not roost.

Pretty normal....will be like that until the youngers start laying, then may change a bit.

Are there places in the run for the youngers to hide out of line of sight(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from the older birds?
Extra roosts, pallets leaned up against a wall, logs, stumps, concrete blocks, old chairs/tables....
..all kinds of things to add to run for a varied environment can help with pecking orders.

Okay thank you! We are just leaving them be and it seems like they're working up the courage to go out, and are not totally terrified of the older hens and roo anymore.

Back
Top Bottom