Help with large egg that hasn't hatched.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Angela81, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Angela81

Angela81 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Hi, I wanted some help with the last chicken egg I have in the incubator. It was the largest egg by quite a bit and it had an air sack that was to the side. I candled it before lockdown and it looked like it was growing nicely. The other 7 eggs all pipped 12 - 24 hours ago and are now all in the brooder. I wouldn't worry if it didn't have its air sack to the side but as it does do I need to help it? I tried candling it again and can't see an internal pip or hear it when I tap the air sack. Do larger eggs just take longer or do I need to be doing anything to help it?

Any help would be really appreciated as this is my first clutch and it would be lovely if they all came out healthy.

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    If I were you I would put a small whole in the top of the egg and let it go until morning. And let nature take its course if you want to help it put a whole in the top and gently break off the shell and let it go a little bit and make sure not to get any of he main blood vessels.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How much larger? Double yolker size?

4. Angela81

Angela81 New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately the chick died inside the egg. I'm not sure why as it looked normal it just hadn't filled the egg completely or absorbed it's yolk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by