Help with letting ducks out

jfinn57

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
I have 5 ducks, Im new at the whole owning birds thing and I dont know what exact breed they are. (1 looks like the Aflac duck, all white, and the other 4 are mostly 2 different shades of brown with a colorful feather around their wing). I've had them for a couple months and theyre pretty much full grown. Theyve been living in a pen about 100 sq ft, which theyre quickly outgrowing. I'd like to let them roam around our property (10 acres, about 2 of those acres are ponds, for most of the day, then put them into the pen for the night. I used to put them in a box and move them into a small setup on the edge of the pond where they could swim around or stay on the bank, but it wasnt very secure and they were still small enough to be attacked by hawks. Theyve outgrown the box transportation method, so Im trying to coax them out then lead them to the pond (about 20 feet) but they always run away from me and I feel like Im scaring them so I give up. They only have a small childs tub in there for swimming and I feel like Im being cruel. Im trying now to just leave the door open, but they dont make any move toward the door, and I worry that if I just keep the door open and leave, my dogs might go for them. I have a Blue Heeler, and a Boxer that showed up at our house starving so I fed her and she stayed, she seems friendly but I dont want to risk my ducks life. How do I coax them out of the pen without scaring them? My dogs are pretty friendly towards other dogs, but will they be to ducks? Why are my ducks so afraid of me when I walk into their enclosure? And have I been doing anything wrong or cruel?

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about ducks (although I've had a few), but I have to admit that ducklings are the ultimate in cute. You should post your questions on our duck section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks where our duck experts reside. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your ducks.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 on try posting in the Duck forum about your birds, good luck with them.

Welcome to the flock. Could you just get a second pool for them to swim in? Lots of people have ducks on here, and often just have a kiddies pool for them. If they go to the natural pond they may be picked off by predators or decide to bond with some wild ducks and fly away with them.

If you haven't raised them from day olds- they haven't bonded with you - so they prefer the company of other ducks instead.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You'll get very good advice in the Ducks section. Enjoy the site!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with your ducks and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom